Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The London Life: An English Regency RPG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Board Has MOVED! Please join us at our new domain: thelondonliferpg.com

WELCOME

NAVIGATION

CALENDAR

STAFF

OF THE MOMENT

LINKS

CREDITS

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Locked

New introduction: between 3rd and 4th dances, Charlie, Charlotte and Marcus
Charlie Devenish (Rose)
Posted: Mar 18 2009, 04:34 PM

Mr. Devenish

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

Charlie finished his dance with the delightful Lady Elizabeth in great good humour and was just making his way to the refreshment table before he tried to find Miss Hutchinson for his next dance, when he was approached by the youngest of the Almack's patronesses, Lady Rose.

This lady was significantly less imposing than the great Lady Sefton and Lady Jersey whom Charlie had managed to avoid so far, so when Lady Rose asked if he would mind being introduced to a young lady who had just returned from India and had very few acquaintances in town, he replied, "India! I say! Of course!"

She led him over to where a rather dark young woman was standing with who he assumed were her parents.

Lady Rose performed the introductions and then melted away into the crowds to do whatever patronesses did and Charlie was left grinning at the young lady. "How do you do, Miss Tolson?"

--------------------
"How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!"
user posted image x user posted image
Charlie's profile
Charlotte Tolson (Izzie)
Posted: Mar 18 2009, 04:47 PM

Miss Tolson

Member No.: 163

Charlotte had managed to find both her brother and mother in the crowd of people, and rather quickly, something that Charlotte was grateful for. She had enjoyed meeting Lady Christiana, and talking to her, but she still felt very lost and alone. It sounded as though her mother had found her sister, the Marchioness of Beningborough, as Katherine Middleton was very excitedly speaking of finding Charlotte's aunt and new cousins and introducing them all to each other. It was in the middle of orchestrating this meeting that one of the patronesses joined their small party of three, with a man that Charlotte had never met.

Lady Rose performed the introductions, introducing the Tolson family to Mr. Charlie Devenish. Mr. Devenish seemed very eager to meet the three of them, more than likely out of curiosity more than anything. It's not everyday that people arrive from India. Charlotte reminded herself, wondering if she'd ever get over the feeling that people would only talk to her because she was a novelty.

Mr. Devenish, however, seemed quite eager to make a good impression with Charlotte. She curtseyed to him. "I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Devenish," she replied evenly, smiling socially at him. An awkward silence filled the space after her reply. Unable to think of anything to say, Charlotte cast around her brain to try to find something suitable to talk about. "Are you enjoying your time here at Almack's this evening?" she asked, saying the first thing that popped into her head.

--------------------
Thank you Alex!
user posted image
Charlotte, sometimes so far away, glass sealed and pretty
During the day, Charlotte wears a plain grey and creme striped day dress.
In the evening, Charlotte wears a ruby red evening gown with an empire waist and puffed sleeves.
For jewelry, she wears an elegant black onyx necklace.

Charlie Devenish (Rose)
Posted: Mar 19 2009, 10:08 AM

Mr. Devenish

"Oh yes!" returned Charlie instantly, not caring in the slightest that he had already answered this question several times that evening and would no doubt answer it several more times to come. "It's the first time I've been here, as I believe it is for you, and everything is so new and so many agreeable people!" Here, he felt there was an opportunity to pay a compliment so he sketched half a bow in her direction. Half a bow because he did not want to appear obsequious. The whole proceedure was probably more effort than it was worth.

" I say, would you like to dance?" he continued immediately.

As he said that he realised that he was not sure exactly when his next free dance was. He ran through his partners in his head while she replied.

--------------------
Charlie's profile
Charlotte Tolson (Izzie)
Posted: Mar 19 2009, 04:16 PM

Miss Tolson

Charlotte smiled at her new companion. He's very talkative! Charlotte thought. She enjoyed the fact that she had to do little to carry the conversation, as she was still very unsure of herself amongst her new peers at Almack's. "You would be very correct, this is indeed my first time here," she replied, giggling a little bit. "I'm still feeling very overwhelmed by all of these people! There were not that many British families back in India, and so our gatherings were considerably smaller than this, as you could imagine." she exclaimed, gesturing to the other bodies around them.

Charlotte started at his invitation to dance. She cast a hasty look back to her brother, who was still involved in watching debutantes, and her mother, who was chattering away to an old acquaintance. "I would certainly love to dance!" she replied, brightening considerably. Dancing was one of her favourite past times in India, and she longed to be out on the dance floor again. "Which dance is most agreeable for you, Mr. Devenish?" she asked, glancing at her empty dance card.

--------------------
Thank you Alex!
user posted image
In the evening, Charlotte wears a ruby red evening gown with an empire waist and puffed sleeves.

Charlie Devenish (Rose)
Posted: Mar 20 2009, 11:00 AM

Mr. Devenish

Charlie had by this point worked out which was his next free dance and so he was able to say with relative confidence, "How would I'll Go No More To Yon Town suit you, Miss Tolson?"

At this point he offered his arm. "What say you to a turn round the room before the next dance? Perhaps we can increase our acquaintances by pointing out to each other the people we know? And you must tell me more about India! Why, the furthest I have ever gone from home is Eton!" He grinned at her.

--------------------
Charlie's profile
Charlotte Tolson (Izzie)
Posted: Mar 20 2009, 04:02 PM

Miss Tolson

"That dance would suit me perfectly, Mr. Devenish," Charlotte replied, still smiling. "And I would love to take a turn with you," she said. She turned to Edward and her mother. "Edward, Mother - I'm taking a turn with Mr. Devenish. I'll be dancing the 6th dance. I'll meet you by that column after the dance," she said pointing out a column over by the refreshment table. Edward sized Mr. Devenish up, as was his custom, and nodded once. "Take care of her, eh, Devenish?" Edward said, taking the role of protective big brother too far, in Charlotte's opinion. Lady Middleton fluttered, clearly excited to see her daughter integrated into society.

Charlotte took his arm, grateful to be away from the never ending chatter of her mother. "I'm afraid that there are not many people that I know here this evening, Mr. Devenish. I've met the charming Lady Christiana already, and yourself of course, but I'm afraid that's all whom I've met. I haven't even met my own family that are here this evening!" she said, laughing lightly.

"And as for questions of India, I am more than happy to answer any for you. What would you like to know?" she asked.

--------------------
Thank you Alex!
user posted image

Charlie Devenish (Rose)
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 10:18 AM

Mr. Devenish

Charlie inclined his head to Mr. Tolson and assured him that he would take very good care of Miss Tolson then set off round the room with her, her arm tucked into his.

"Oh, yes, yes, Lady Christiana!" said Charlie, now rather ashamed of how tongue tied he had been round her. "I have a dance with her later. You haven't even met your own family?" he then asked incredulously, entirely ignoring her question about India in favour of this startling pronouncement. "I say! I mean, I don't have any family here, but I do know my friends. There is Lady Viola Fitzgerald- I shall introduce her if you like- talking to the Marquess of, no dash it, to someone who looks a good deal like the Marquess of Emerson!" he concluded lucidly. "That is, do you have family here with whom you are not acquainted?"

--------------------
Charlie's profile
Marcus Fairmont (Alex)
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 12:28 PM

Marquess of Foxford

Member No.: 171

Marcus was happy drifting among the Almack’s crowds, greeting and stopping to chat with friends and acquaintances. He had no partner lined up for the fourth and was content with this fact. Perhaps he had time for a game of cards or two before the fifth with pretty little Lady Phoebe. No, wait , he shook his head to clear it, just Lady Phoebe . Thinking of David’s sister as pretty would only complicate matters.

He spotted the blond head of young Devenish and headed directly for him.

As much as he was enjoying the ball, he was also very much looking forward to a drink and a smoke with the gentlemen at Whites much later on. The mood may be less festive there but, ugh, the drinks were a great deal more to his taste. Grimacing, Marcus set his teacup and saucer down on the nearest table. How does one make tea distasteful? Quite the feat, patronesses .... he marvelled.

Set upon rallying some gentlemen for a late night drink, Marcus had completely failed to notice that Devenish was not alone, but speaking with a wide-eyed, exotic looking creature. He was upon the pair before this fact came to his attention. However, tonight everyone was crushed into everyone else and, besides, Devenish looked to be on edge and the young lady a touch nervous so he doubted he was interrupting much. Marcus, himself always happy to see a familiar face, could not consider his sudden appearance rude.

“Good evening, Devenish!” Flipping some unruly hair out of his eyes, he grinned widely at Charlie, and then more cautiously at his companion.

--------------------
Charlotte Tolson (Izzie)
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 03:28 PM

Miss Tolson

"No, I'm afraid I haven't met my own family tonight," Charlotte repeated, laughing slightly. "It's a strange statement to make for sure, but it is the truth. My aunt and cousins are here this evening, but as I have never been to England before..." she trailed off. "I have yet to meet my own family." she concluded, shrugging and smiling quickly.

"Lady Christiana has been so kind to both myself and my brother this evening, she was the first person to introduce herself to us. She seems like a wonderful companion," she said. "In truth, she has been quite helpful with giving me advice on where to shop - but I'm sure none of that is very interesting to you, Mr. Devenish." Charlotte smiled.

As Charlotte said this, another figure came into her view. He greeted Mr. Devenish amiably, so Charlotte pasted on another social smile, and smiled back at the newcomer, waiting to be introduced to him.

--------------------
Thank you Alex!
user posted image

Charlie Devenish (Rose)
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 04:27 PM

Mr. Devenish

"Oh, I see," Charlie replied feeling a bit foolish. Obviously if she'd just arrived in England she might not have met her British connections yet.

He laughed at what she said about shopping. "Oh, I don't know. Lord Emerson who I just mentioned managed to prevent me spending far too much money in Bond Street this morning! Such advice could be quite welcome." He shook his ruefully.

At this point he suddenly spotted someone right in front of him whom he had not expected to see- whose existence, in fact, he had temporarily forgotten. He had met Marcus Fairmont through a university friend on the several occasions that he had ventured to London from Oxford. While he didn't know the man very well, he had an easy temper and they had always got along.

He greeted him warmly, "Foxford! Good evening! I didn't expect to see you, though I don't know why. I've finally made it to Almack's, you see. Ah, Miss Tolson, allow me to introduce my friend Lord Foxford. And this is Miss Tolson. She is recently arrived from India."

--------------------
Charlie's profile
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Locked

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1097 seconds | Archive