zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to The London Life: An English Regency RPG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Board Has MOVED! Please join us at our new domain: thelondonliferpg.com

WELCOME

NAVIGATION

CALENDAR

STAFF

OF THE MOMENT

LINKS

CREDITS

Selina - Second Dance, Juliet and Tristan
Tristan Edgeworth (Francesca)
Posted: Jan 28 2009, 06:24 PM

Gentry

Group: Members
Member No.: 147

Accepting Lady Juliet's extended hand, Tristan led her to the dance floor, mired for the moment, in an uncharacteristically thoughtful silence. Her description of her family's reaction to her brother's engagement had quite convinced him that he would not be making offers to young ladies any time soon. The mere thought of vapourish mothers, shrieking siblings, and hysterical grandparents made him turn quite cold.

Moreover, while a similar announcement on his own part would result in no less dramatic a reaction, he was convinced that it would be met with as much disapproval as Seyton's had been met with joy. For some strange reason, his family made it a habit to disapprove of all his choices. It was all quite mystifying.I've been of age for nearly a year, after all! he thought to himself, puffing out his chest to lend consequence to this thought. If I do choose to contract an engagement, there is very little anyone can do to stop me! In the space of two minutes, Tristan had managed to talk himself into thinking of offering for a girl, just to show that he could.

"Thank you", he said courteously in response to Lady Juliet's offer. "I would be happy to see Seyton again, I'm sure." It seemed a little strange for a young lady to invite him over to her brother's establishment of all places, but it would be impolite to decline; and in any event, he was quite sure it would all come to nothing. Damme, it had better not mean anything! he thought to himself. The thought of quitting London to vegetate in some blasted country house was calculated to dampen anyone's spirits.

"Have you been in London long?" he asked, in an attempt to dispel his own gloomy thoughts. "I collect that both you and your sister are making your debuts this year. Are you enjoying your stay thus far?" The opening gambit was hardly scintillating in its originality, but it seemed safe enough.
Juliet Landon (Izzie)
Posted: Jan 29 2009, 01:20 AM

Lady Juliet Landon

Member No.: 141

Juliet followed Tristan out to the dance floor. He seemed very preoccupied for a moment. Shrugging, Juliet looked surruptiously behind her back towards Lord Pritchard. However much she detested him, she was going to miss his company. She found herself wanting to spend more time with him, even if he annoyed her to the ends of the earth. But why, exactly, did he annoy her?

Well, he is a rake. And he lead you on... she thought. Although technically he didn't lead me on...it was more of me falling for his rakish qualities, Juliet concluded. Mentally kicking herself for being such a debutante, and especially for falling for his rakish qualities (particularly when one has grown up with a rake for an older brother), Juliet firmly told her mind to shush, and to not think about Lord Pritchard again.

She conveniently placed aside the fact that she desperately wanted to meet Miss Charity Pritchard. And who better to introduce her to Miss Pritchard than Lord Latimer?

Stop it and pay attention to where you're walking! she chided herself as she almost tripped over another lady's dress train - again.

Juliet smiled at Tristan when he replied to her offer of visiting Seyton. "I'm sure Richard will be more than happy to see you again, Lord Latimer. It will, of course, take some time before he invites you up formally, as the house is in a complete disarray, and dear Ella does take her time with invitations," she sighed, "but I will pass along your interest to Richard, and I'm sure he'll invite you up at a more convenient time." she said, congratulating herself on smoothing over her hastily given invitation.

"We have not been in London long, we only arrived about a week ago," she explained. "I am the only one making my debut this year, Elizabeth made her debut last year. She's been talking about London non-stop since she came back to the estate a few months ago. I'm quite excited to be here, although I feel rather small in such a large city. And all the etiquette!" she shook her head, making her curls bounce, the candlelight reflecting flecks of red in her hair. "I have been greatly enjoying London thus far. I look forward to seeing more of the city." she said generically.

"And what of you, how long have you been in London?" she asked, with a polite social smile.

--------------------

Bring it, Grafton
user posted image
Thank you Lin!
What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun.
During the day, Juliet is dressed in a simple dusty rose dress with puffed sleeves and a ruby red sash.
In the evening, she is dressed in a pale purple evening gown with a white underskirt, paired with an amethyst and rose gold necklace

Posted: Jan 29 2009, 03:45 AM

Gentry

"Oh I would not dream of inconveniencing them!" said Tristan hastily and truthfully. "We all know newlyweds need their time after all." He realised too late the unfortunate implications of this statement and blushed. It was to be hoped that Lady Juliet would not construe his words in such a shockingly indelicate way but one could never say with young ladies these days; and she had grown up in the country.

"I have been living in London ever since I came down from Cambridge", he said in response to her question. "It has been a little less than a year now. I am currently residing in Edgeworth House, but I have been thinking of taking out a lease on apartments of my own for some time now. It might be a wise course of action should my mother decide that she feels well enough to come up to the city with my other siblings for the remainder of the Season after all."

He smiled at Lady Juliet's comment on the city's size. While she had certainly grown up considerably since she had last seen her, she was after all still a young debutante and her enthusiasm entirely natural. It served the purpose of making Tristan feel very wise and experienced in comparison - a sensation he rather enjoyed, although it was perhaps not as firmly grounded in reality as he would have liked to believe.

"Yes, it is quite thrilling, isn't it?" he said with a kind smile. "I remember being quite swept away with the excitement of it all." This last sentence was made to sound as though this happy occasion had taken place a long time ago. In truth, it had barely been eleven months, and Tristan was still somewhat taken aback by London's size and grandeur did he care to admit the truth.

Such boyish enthusiasm however was not something one confessed to green girls from the country and consequently, he refrained from elaborating on the theme. Lady Juliet's comment on the issue of etiquette however, he seized upon eagerly. "Yes, city manners are frequently confounding", he said in tones of heartfelt agreement. "Every social situation seems positively fraught with pitfalls! I dare say of course that it is much harder for young ladies than it is for me. My sister at least, has much to say on the subject and the unfairness of it all." Cassie was prone, of course, to raving and ranting about any number of things. Being a younger, more inexperienced younger sister, she simply could not be taken seriously, but Tristan supposed that there was at least some truth to her strictures, exaggerated though they quite definitely were.
Juliet Landon (Izzie)
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 12:09 AM

Lady Juliet Landon

Juliet giggled again. "I'm sure that they will appreciate you leaving them time to prepare for guests, Lord Latimer," she smiled.

Her social smile quickly turned to a frown at the mention of his mother. "Your mother is ill?" she asked, concerned. "Is it anything serious?" Juliet quite liked Lord Latimer's mother, and she did not like to hear that she had fallen ill.

She then turned her attention to his comments about London. "I'm quite sure that London will never seize to amaze me in some way or another. Every time one turns around, there is something new to experience, it seems. There is also the constant flow of foreign visitors, bringing new ideas to the city. It seems to me that London is the perfect place for me; and while I do love Yorkshire, I find that London is much more suited to my personality." she smiled brightly.

Juliet smiled at the mention of his sister. "Yes, I do believe that your sister and I would agree on a great deal of things regarding the strictness of etiquette. However, these rules were set before us for a reason, and while they confuse me beyond all reason, I feel that I must follow them." she said, shrugging.

"Are there are places in London that you recommend visiting?" she asked, gazing up at him. "I'm afraid I haven't the slightest notion of what is in town for entertainments."

((OOC: I'm sorry that my post isn't very long, I'm rather lacking motivation tonight. I spent all day studying for a midterm I have next week. I promise that Juliet will be more talkative soon!))

--------------------

Bring it, Grafton
user posted image
Thank you Lin!
During the day, Juliet is dressed in a simple dusty rose dress with puffed sleeves and a ruby red sash.
In the evening, she is dressed in a pale purple evening gown with a white underskirt, paired with an amethyst and rose gold necklace

Posted: Jan 30 2009, 06:40 PM

Gentry

((OOC: Please don't worry about real life interfering with your RPs! Your midterms and other concerns are far more important.))

Tristan gulped, mentally kicking himself for bringing up a topic that he had planned to avoid studiously. One did not like to think of one's parents under such circumstances after all. It seemed positively unnatural. He decided however, that it might be best after all, to reveal the truth of the matter to Lady Juliet. After all, it wasn't as though it could remain concealed indefinitely - even if his mother chose to come to London without little Cecilia. "There is no cause for alarm, as she is not", he plunged ahead. "She is merely recovering from a recent confinement."

The myriad delights of London provided a welcome distraction. He set himself to racking his brains for acceptable sights for young ladies to see. "I suppose you have already been riding in Hyde Park?" he inquired. "It is a very popular pastime, especially if you care to see all the fashionable people togged- ah, dressed up in all their finery." He shrugged. "If it is merely exercise in the form of a good, quick gallop you are looking for, you will probably not find it in Rotten Row", he warned her. "If you should try, the old ca - that is to say, society matrons will definitely have something to say about it."

He pondered other places that Lady Juliet to visit. "There is of course the theatre which is very diverting if you have a taste for the dramatic; and the opera if you enjoy music. People generally host many private concerts as well. No doubt, you will be receiving invitations to your share of them soon enough. And if you prefer something more lively, then you need not look much further than Vauxhall Gardens, although it would be wise to be on your guard should you choose to venture there. The place is riddled with any number of unsavoury characters." While it would be indelicate to go into the particulars, he thought it only fair to warn his partner of these dangers. He would not want her to find herself in harm's way after all.

Juliet Landon (Izzie)
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 03:42 AM

Lady Juliet Landon

((OOC: Hee, thanks! Next week is a really bad week for me, I have two midterms and an essay...eeeeeek!))

Juliet's brown eyes widened for a moment at the word "confinement". She quickly went over the many different things that confinement could mean, as she refused to believe the more common usage of the word. She...she could not have given birth? Could she? Juliet's brain scrambled, going through the past ten months of her life, looking for any piece of gossip she had overheard....and came up with not a whole lot. Admittedly, she had been moping around the house for six of these past months, rejoicing at the return of Elizabeth for the other three, and preparing for her Season for the last one. This did not leave a girl much time to gossip, or to hear any.

Recovering quickly, she smiled. "Well, I am glad to hear that it is nothing serious...pass along my good wishes towards her and -" she faltered. How did one deal with a situation such as this? "The rest of your family," she concluded gracefully.

She turned her head to the right, to the slightest degree as she listened to the many things one could amuse oneself with in London. "I am embarrassed to admit that I have not had a chance to do any of these wonderful activities," she said, looking down and blushing. "As we have only been in town for a week or so, I have not had much time to see much of London. I would so like to go see the opera though," she said, lighting up. "I do love singing, and I would love to see one performed. Perhaps Mama, Elizabeth and I will go one night." she mused, thinking of how to convince her mother to go to the opera. It shouldn't be that difficult, it was one of the main social hubs of London.

"I should very much like to see Hyde Park - and Vauxhall Gardens," Juliet said, a devilish glint entering her eyes. "I will take great care to keep myself out of harm, do not fear. And I thank you for your warning of the more...interesting parts of London."

"Shall we take our places for the dance?" she asked.

--------------------

Bring it, Grafton
user posted image
Thank you Lin!

Posted: Feb 2 2009, 12:52 AM

Gentry

"I shall be sure to pass your felicitations to my family", said Tristan, as he led Lady Juliet over to the rest of the dancers. The task of finding an appropriate set took up some time and the dance started soon after. Tristan was quiet for the first few minutes as he acclimatised himself to the rhythm of the music, keeping up a count under his breath as he tried to recall the patterns, hoping he would not do anything so maladroit as to step on his partner's toes.

He set himself to the task of addressing Lady Juliet's previous comments once he felt a little more confident that he wouldn't bungle things too badly. "Well, I suppose you have not had an opportunity to see much of the city since you have not been here above a week", he remarked. It was likely that most of her acquaintance with London thus far would have been limited to milliners' and mantua makers' shops. "However, I am sure you will have ample opportunities soon enough. The opera is considered quite an unexceptionable diversion", he assured her. "For my own part, I must confess to preferring plays. I do not know very much about music and I enjoy being able to understand the language in which dramatic productions are conducted. I have a particular fondness for comedies."

((OOC: Apologies for the inadequacy of the post. Tristan is not being very amenable these days.))
Juliet Landon (Izzie)
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 03:31 PM

Lady Juliet Landon

Juliet smiled and nodded, and let herself be taken over to where the dances were taking place. After finding a spot in the set, her eyes darted around the room, seeking out her mother and sister. They had moved from when she had last looked for them, and it took her a few heart-pounding moments to find them again. Although she was eighteen, Juliet was still new to London, and felt no desire to lose her only family within Almack's.

The music started up, and Juliet automatically started to trace the steps of the dance with the other partners around her. Dancing had never been one of Juliet's favourite activities, but she was tolerably good at it, and so she moved around the floor easily. She listened as Lord Latimer explained his preference for plays, and she worked to keep a shocked look off of her face.

"I must disagree with you, Lord Latimer," Juliet stated. "I have always found that opera has much more soul to it than plays. The music is uplifting, the voice parts are brilliantly written, and even if one cannot understand the language, one only has to listen to the tone of the music to understand the emotion that the characters are feeling." Juliet said, her eyes sparkling. She loved music, and she certainly loved the opera. She also knew all about not understanding languages. At least five language tutors had come and gone throughout her childhood, exclaiming that the child could not be taught any language other than English, and indeed, that she did not want to be taught. Juliet found this entirely unfair, besides the fact that she was horrible at languages to begin with, she did want to learn...just not the ones they were offering to teach her.

Juliet waited another couple steps before speaking again. "I must confess that I have not seen any comedies yet. I have only seen a few operas, when my family was living farther in the south at Seyton, before Richard took hold of it. Perhaps I should seek out a comic play during my stay in London."

She looked around the room again mid-dance, searching for her family. Blast! Where are they? she thought before directing her attention back to the dance. She thought she caught a glimpse of Elizabeth's honey-coloured hair, but then she made another turn in the dance, and the owner of the hair had disappeared again.

((OOC: No problem! Juliet isn't being very helpful either, she's grown very quiet. I apologize on her behalf. I also saw your post in the player announcements, so don't worry about sporadic activity. I'll be doing that too. Who doesn't love a music midterm at 6:30 tonight? Wait...I don't....))

--------------------

Bring it, Grafton
user posted image
Thank you Lin!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Locked

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1295 seconds | Archive