Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The London Life: An English Regency RPG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Board Has MOVED! Please join us at our new domain: thelondonliferpg.com

WELCOME

NAVIGATION

CALENDAR

STAFF

OF THE MOMENT

LINKS

CREDITS

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post ) Locked

A Ridiculous Crush- 4/10, Daphne, Alethea, Selina and Raphael
Selina Clare (Rose)
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 08:23 AM

Mrs. Clare

Group: Members
Member No.: 40

Viscount Torrington... Viscountess Torrington... Lady Selina Torrington... It did have a certain ring to it. She pulled her attention back to her future husband's delighful sister and what she was saying. "We must only hope therefore that he is charmed by a lady of whom you approve," replied Selina with a somewhat ingratiating simper.

At that moment, they were approached by a gentleman and lady, clearly of very good birth, who seemed to be very well acquainted with the Duchess and Viscountess, judging by the ladies addressing them by their Christian names. Selina watched the gentleman out of the corner of her eye and tried to catch his while the ladies were greeting each other. To say he was handsome would be an understatement...

--------------------
Gabriel Pritchard (lin)
Posted: Oct 16 2008, 03:20 PM

Gentry

Member No.: 110

Daphne's smile brightened at Selina's words. Such a well brought up Lady, she thought. But then, that light in her eyes diminished when a voice was added into their company, addressing her and Alethea by first names.

She ignored the lady, but addressed the man. " Edencourt. A pleasure to see you in town again."

Alethea, however, had different ideals. " Lady Whitleaf, once again, a pleasure to have my christian name heralded to the ton for their hearing." She said, somewhat sardonically. Her large expressive eyes were the epitome of boredom as she viewed the woman. And while she was happy to claim friendship with the lady's sister, Tabitha, she hardly recalled giving her, the younger, leave to be addressed by such terms of familiarity.

Daphne herself was indignant, but refused to say a word, except display that haughty countenance that made duchesses such a rare breed. Only one with such breeding would be able to truly look down her nose at another in such class. And even though she was not accustomed to throwing her weight with her name, such behavior could not be condoned. It simply was not done!

Duchesses, especially those of a certain station were addressed with formality, unless those considered amongst boudoir bows, which of course, was limited to a fair few, one of which was Viscountess Tessington. Daphne addressed Mrs Clare before Lady Whitleaf to emphasize her point. " Yes, on that I would have to agree with you, Mrs. Clare." She said with a warm smile. Only after that did she turn to Lady Whitleaf and spoke with her directly.

" Allow me to present Mrs. Clare, a new friend of mine, and a guest of mine at Beaumont House for tea tomorrow." She said with a serene smile, the tone meaning a thousand words. It was known that ladies of the ton had their little groups, but it was also known that certain groups certainly had more to say than others.

((OOC: snowy, I would not have anyone presume an aquaintance with my characters without prior notice, especially not one on such familiar terms. If you wish to edit, feel free, but if not, Cynthia is welcome to respond.))

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image

Icons from Gaspard Icons dot com.
Selina Clare (Rose)
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 11:29 PM

Mrs. Clare

Selina watched the two ladies' differing reactions to the newcomers and was not quite sure how to respond. Clearly Lady Whitleaf had been guilty of a breach of etiquette... and yet the woman looked so genteel and her companion so gentlemanly, that Selina hardly wanted to get on their bad side.

When she had been introduced, however, she did put on her best smile and said with a curtsy, "I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, Lady Whitleaf. And I must say how delightful it is to meet so very many agreeable people. I had not expected such a welcome in London; I am quite overwhelmed."

She wondered who the gentleman was. She sneaked another glance at him. Definitely handsome. Lady Beaumont had addressed him as Edencourt. Was that a name or title, she wondered.

--------------------
Daphne Werlington (Lin)
Posted: Oct 22 2008, 10:42 AM

Gentry

Member No.: 87

Daphne cleared her throat, taking in Lady Whitleaf's reaction and tactfully covering up that awkward silence. Alethea had times where she spoke what she meant before she phrased it in a more tactful manner, and this was one of the times. Saying such a sentence to a sister of a peer was not a concern of hers; both her and Alethea had been around long enough to know of the rules of the ton. They knew, rules did not apply to duchesses neither did they apply to Viscountesses with fortunes, who happened to be the daughters of a marquesses.

Daphne did not mean to be particularly insulting, but there were some reactions that couldn't be helped. "Mrs. Clare, I was particularly wondering, would you be attending the Emerson's Ball on Sunday? Lady Emerson sent out the invitations earlier this week."

(ooc: Sorry rose! it's short!)

--------------------
icons from Jane Austen Icons @livejournal
Daphne wears: A lilac bandeau with three strings of amethyst crystals on each side. Lilac gown, long sleeves till her wrist; layered with white silk and lace.
Selina Clare (Rose)
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 07:37 AM

Mrs. Clare

((OOC: Eek, I forgot I hadn't replied here! Sorry, Lin!))

The Emersons' ball? The name meant something to her, but she did not think she had heard it in London.

Her smile faltered. "Oh dear, I believe I may have a prior engagement that evening. Such a shame... I was very disappointed, you may be sure."

There was no way Selina was going to own up to this clearly critical sign of her newness in Town and lack of acquaintance, to somebody as important as the Duchess.

"I assume you will all be attending, however?" she addressed the party at large.

--------------------
Daphne Werlington (Lin)
Posted: Oct 26 2008, 04:28 PM

Gentry

Member No.: 87

Daphne nodded. " Yes, we will, be attending." She took a glance at her husband, and Philip gave an almost imperceptible nod. To be sure, the Werlingtons would attend, simply because Madeline, the dowager, was friends with the Marchioness, and thus would definitely be present to see Lady Emerson's two charges make their bow.

" The Marchioness of Emerson holds a ball near the beginning of every season, and then a house party later on. These have become common fixtures for us town people.." Lady Tessington said with a chuckle. " This year especially, since Lady Emerson has two girls to bring out. Miss Hampton, over there, with the white blond hair, and Miss Pritchard, on the other end with Lord Linley."

At this moment, the musicians signaled for the set to be beginning. Philip looked to his wife, before wondering vaguely if Mrs Clare had a partner for this dance. If not, it would simply not be polite to leave in the middle of the conversation. Viscount Tessington, however, did not have such qualms, and had appeared at Alethea's side as she scanned about the room for him. Without further ado, the Viscount and Viscountess excused themselves to take their place in the set.

Tactfully, Daphne smiled at Selina, as if in spiritual encouragement that men would seek her out in a few minutes.

--------------------
icons from Jane Austen Icons @livejournal
Daphne wears: A lilac bandeau with three strings of amethyst crystals on each side. Lilac gown, long sleeves till her wrist; layered with white silk and lace.
Selina Clare (Rose)
Posted: Oct 26 2008, 05:11 PM

Mrs. Clare

Selina followed the Duchess' gaze and saw the two young ladies in question, or who she thought they were. Very pretty young ladies who would no doubt be popular were the gentlemen and who were currently joining the sets with handsome partners. Selina felt a rush of jealousy and regret for not having ever had a London season.

"Oh indeed, very nice looking girls."

And then the music started up. Selina did not yet have a partner for the opening dance and she felt rather disappointed when the Viscount and Viscountess left. Seeing the Duke and Duchess look at each other, she gave a little laugh. "Please, you must join the set. I believe I see someone I know," she finished vaguely.

Fortunately she had spotted her one other acquaintance, Lady Imogen, so this was not a complete lie.

She said her goodbyes and that she was looking forward to the tea the following day and watched them move off towards the dancing, before wandering vaguely in the direction of Lady Imogen, fanning herself and smiling sweetly at various people that she passed.

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Locked

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2019 seconds | Archive