Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The London Life: An English Regency RPG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Board Has MOVED! Please join us at our new domain: thelondonliferpg.com

WELCOME

NAVIGATION

CALENDAR

STAFF

OF THE MOMENT

LINKS

CREDITS

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Locked

Huntingdon House: "'bout the blackberry bush", 4/10 - am; Imogen & Charity
Charity Pritchard (Lin)
Posted: Sep 1 2008, 09:38 AM

Peer

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Just as Charity sat down to her reading after breakfast, half listening to the menu for the day, her thoughts drifted to the frail, young looking girl she saw at the theatre the night before. Hardly a lively young thing like she herself, Charity felt a vague sense of sympathy, not pity, mind, for the girl. She was quite pretty, not in the strong handsome type like Lady Viola, but quite like Selina Clare, she thought. Her sharp ears caught the housekeepers talk of their Blackberry Jam, Lemon Jam and Marmalade and she smiled. " Tante, I was thinking of paying a call to Lady Huntingdon and her daughter; I met both at the Theatre.. Perhaps I might give Lady Imogen some of our Blackberry jam to try?"

Her aunt exclaimed an affirmative, and Charity bustled alongside Elise to draft a quick note to Imogen.

Dear Lady Imogen,
I am sure this comes as a surprise to you, for we spoke for nary a few minutes that night at the theatre. I do hope this note finds you well.

This is my debut season out and I do love to meet new people. You seem nice, and my aunt does have a good impression of Lady Huntingdon. It is my impression that they had been in the same social circle.

If it is at all possible, I would like to visit with you today. Enclosed is my card.

With Warmest Regards,
Miss Charity Pritchard.

--------------------
user posted image - user posted image - user posted image
President :'We Love Viscount Linley Fanclub', Co President: The Frivolous Faction
Charity wears a cherry colored morning gown, with a slash down the middle showing off a pale green underskirt and red rosettes in her hair,.
Imogen Rathbone (Vikki)
Posted: Sep 1 2008, 10:10 AM

Lady Imogen

Member No.: 53

A note had arrived for Imogen by the time she had returned from the church, still musing on her meeting with the Duke of Bridgwater. Her mother was busy with some household matter, so there was no opportunity - or need - to tell her about the encounter as yet, not that it really merited much in the way of telling.

She sent Margaret off with her bonnet and outer garments and entered her own little sitting room, then took a seat on the heavily cushioned sofa in order to read the note. It was from Miss Pritchard - the lady who had burst into their box at the theatre, she recalled. An amused smile pulled at her lips as she read. What a sweet child - "You seem nice". And she thought that her mother and Lady Emerson had indeed moved in much the same circles when younger, before Imogen's illness had curtailed the Huntingdons' social activities.

She took up a pen and paper and began to draft a reply.

Dear Miss Pritchard,
Thank you very much for your kind note; I well remember our brief chat at the theatre and would be very glad to see you. I am at home to callers all day today, so any time that you are available would be convenient.

Signing the letter, she sent it off with the footman and fiddled with the card in her hands, inordinately pleased to be determining a part of her own schedule.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image
Imogen's Profile
For the evening, Imogen wears an ivory gown with forest green sash and shawl
Charity Pritchard (Lin)
Posted: Sep 1 2008, 10:26 AM

Peer

The reply arrived within the hour. It seemed that Lady Imogen was one to be efficient as well. She read it and in good spirits, closed her book. The smack of shutting the novel attracted Elise's attention, who had just finished a letter to one of her friends who was unable to come to town until later in the season. " What has made you so excitable?" she asked, twisted about in the seat. Lady Emerson was still engrossed with the Housekeeper, now with the monthly expenditure and was not noticing her young charges.

" I requested to visit with Lady Imogen Rathbone, that rather frail looking girl I told you about?" Charity said, standing and drawing Elise with her. A quick curtsey later and the pair left the room arm in arm, heading up to Charity's chamber where she would dress for her outing. On the way, she told a maid to prepare a basket of jams for her to take to Lady Imogen. " I wonder what I shall wear..." She mused as she and Elise approached their rooms. " Might I borrow your cream and pink gown? There is a rose ribbon I'd like to try with my hair..." She asked her friend after a minute. Elise agreed and ran to fetch the said walking dress from her dressing room, and returned to see Charity sitting at her vanity, her maid dressing her hair. The rose ribbon was threaded at the crown of her head, like a thick and holding back her wavy fringe of hair. The rest of the mass of her hair was pulled back in a braided coiffure, pleasant for a first meeting with another young lady.

Elise bounced on her bed and chatted with her about trival things, speaking of Alex Knight, and of Harriet who was visiting as well, and of Viscount Linley. Soon, Charity was ready, and Elise accompanied her down the stairs before going back to be with Lady Emerson in the morning room.

Going onto the open top landau, her favorite, she tied the bonnet's ribbon loosely ( her favorite with a cream trim) and gave instructions to Huntington House, the Basket of jam and her maid sitting opposite her. Soon, she was stopped right outside the house. Her maid went ahead to knock on the door. Handing her card to the butler, she was welcomed into the entrance hall as he went to check if Lady Imogen was 'at home'.

--------------------
President :'We Love Viscount Linley Fanclub', Co President: The Frivolous Faction
Charity wears a cherry colored morning gown, with a slash down the middle showing off a pale green underskirt and red rosettes in her hair,.
Imogen Rathbone (Vikki)
Posted: Sep 1 2008, 10:50 AM

Lady Imogen

Miss Pritchard was shown through to the morning room promptly after her arrival, Imogen having moved there a short while ago from her own room. She had her customary place by the fire, but unlike yesterday was unencumbered by blankets and with only a shawl draped loosely around her shoulders. She laid her book aside and rose when Charity was announced, as did Lady Huntingdon whose hands were full of embroidery.

"Miss Pritchard, how delightful to see you again," Imogen greeted the younger girl. "Mama, you remember Miss Pritchard from the theatre, of course." How could anyone forget? It wasn't every day that one's box was used as a bolt-hole to escape over-zealous suitors.

"Certainly," the lady replied, approval of the family overriding any negative impression from the unconventional manner of introduction last time. "Lady Emerson's neice - I must call on her tomorrow. You do look so much like your mother, my dear," she complimented Charity. From Lady Huntingdon, who was of an age to remember Charity's mother, it was without a doubt a compliment. "Please, sit," she half invited, half commanded in the way that so many older peeresses had, and rang for tea.

"I trust you have had an agreeable time since we met at the threatre?" Imogen asked as they took their seats again.

--------------------
Imogen's Profile
Charity Pritchard (Lin)
Posted: Sep 1 2008, 11:56 AM

Peer

Charity made her curtsies to both the older women and smiled. And she sat, of course. " Thank you, Lady Huntingdon." She said prettily. Her mother, somewhat of a replica of her, had the same sooty dark hair and alabaster pale skin. Even her mannerisms were almost the same, with the vivid animation of a french woman. Of course, it could also be said that she had learnt said mannerisms from her Aunt. It had always been of talk that both the Pritchard brothers had married out of the country. Matchmaking mamas of that age were heartbroken when the chosen brides were not of their circles. Of course, the Marchioness and Lady Pritchard had quickly acertained their places in society.

" The day has passed fairly. My Cousin Gabriel has recently returned from the war front and will be joining us this season." Charity shared cheerily, for Gabriel's return had really been unexpected. " He will be joining Miss Hampton and myself at Almacks tonight, in honor of Lady Julianne's debut." She said, referring to Elise formally, as she had no idea if Lady Huntingdon knew of Aunt Winifred's ward, considering that they might not have met in society for quite a few years.

" Although I do apologise for my abrupt and exit at the theatre Lady Huntingdon, Lady Imogen." She said rather ruefully. " I do realize sometimes I do things that are close to eccentric. My aunt despairs of me ever getting married!" Laughing it off, she smiled at Lady Imogen. She looked fresher today, as if the night of rest had done her good. Her eyes were brighter and her cheeks had more color in them. Charity wondered if Lady Imogen might be attending, but was not quite so coarse as to ask.

" Oh, I must remember, Cook makes the most amazing Blackberry Jam, Lemon Jam and Marmalade; I have brought a basket for you all to try, and to see if perhaps I am not to biased after all!" Cook had been with the family for years and years, and Charity has never tasted blackberry jam like hers. " A simple token, but I do hope you will enjoy it."

--------------------
Imogen Rathbone (Vikki)
Posted: Sep 2 2008, 08:54 AM

Lady Imogen

"How delightful," Imogen replied to news that Miss Pritchard's cousin was returned from the war. "I'm sure you are all very glad to have him home for so long." It must be leave, rather than injury, else he wouldn't be attending a ball that very night, she reasoned. Thank goodness. Imogen hated the need for war and only the fact that it was England's responsibility to help counter Napoleon's invasions made her support the current one. It was only bearable when she didn't think of young men throwing their lives away.

But here was one such young man safely in England again with his family; that was reason to smile. "It seems that Almacks this evening will be well attended. I also will be there, and Lady Elizabeth Dunford called yesterday and mentioned that she will be present." She did not, however, feel it prudent to share Lady Elizabeth's opinion of Lady Julianne with Miss Pritchard, no matter that she felt herself agreeing on the basis of hearsay. Miss Pritchard might well be a good friend of Lady Julianne.

When the conversation turned to their meeting at the theatre, Imogen smiled and waved away the apology. "I'm sure that such small eccentricities can be forgiven. But I hardly think your aunt need despair of you so soon. Why, you are only just out, and who knows - perhaps you will meet someone who appreciates eccentricity?"

Speaking of eccentricity, this had to be the first time that Imogen had been brought a gift of jams. It was rather sweet, but not at all what she'd been expecting. It was more the sort of gesture one made to tenants or poor relations. But no doubt that was not what Miss Pritchard had had in mind. "You are too kind," she replied, indicating that the maid who had brought tea should take the basket to the kitchens. "I'm sure they will be delightful and that you are not biased at all."

--------------------
Imogen's Profile
Charity Pritchard (Lin)
Posted: Sep 3 2008, 12:37 AM

Peer

Charity smiled at the mention of Elizabeth Dunford. The young girl was a close friend of both hers and Elise's; the three of them had grown up together, including Julianne Grafton. Funny how both her and Lizzie never did manage to take to Julianne like Elise did, though she still remained close to Elise. " Oh! Did you know, Lady Imogen, that Lady Elizabeth, Miss Hampton, Lady Julianne and myself grew up together as children?" She asked. There were many exciting stories that she could tell concerning her childhood, including one very funny one about a certain someone having a crush on a certain duke, but she had to first be certain if Lizzie had not told the same one.

" I am not sure if Lady Elizabeth might have told you the same stories Lady Imogen, for she and I have a similar thinking in so many ways!"

--------------------
Imogen Rathbone (Vikki)
Posted: Sep 3 2008, 09:55 AM

Lady Imogen

"I did not," Imogen replied with some surprise. "That is, Lady Elizabeth mentioned that she was very familiar with Lady Julianne, but I was not aware that you and Miss Hampton were also part of the set." She wondered what Miss Pritchard's take on the other girls was, and if, with her similar thinking, she shared Lizzie's opinion of Julianne, and thus Imogen's own second-hand opinion of the girl.

"I confess Lady Elizabeth and I talked a great deal yesterday, but most of her tales of her childhood were about her adventures at home with her brothers."

--------------------
Imogen's Profile
Charity Pritchard (Lin)
Posted: Sep 4 2008, 02:35 PM

Peer

" Oh!" Charity smiled. " all of our mothers, including Lady Emerson, since she is a mother to Elise, had the same seasons. Lady Raulings, Lady Emerson, the Duchess of Claitonborough and my mother, Lady Louise Pritchard, were all friends since they had met in town. We, as their children, grew up together, and amongst ourselves, have sorted out our alliances of sorts." She said with a laugh, remembering the happy times that they had in the various country houses over the autumn. "Of course, through it all, Miss Hampton and I remain inseparable." She said with a tone of finality.

Of course they were inseparable. Elise and Charity were friends from the cradle, having known each other since they were two years old, and having lived together since Charity was six and Elise five. They had a sense of loyalty and friendship that was almost impossible to find elsewhere in the ton. " In fact, she had sent her regards upon hearing the news that I was to call, and hopes to meet you, if not at Almacks, then further on in the season; might I bring her to you, Lady Imogen, when there is a chance?" She inquired with the basic courtesy, mindful of her manners since she was making a formal call.

She folded her hands on her lap demurely, reaching up to tucked a stubborn curl behind her ear only when there was a break in the conversation. " But yes, Lady Elizabeth does have many interesting things to say about her brothers. And I have to admit, I am forever amused by them!"

--------------------
Imogen Rathbone (Vikki)
Posted: Sep 4 2008, 04:08 PM

Lady Imogen

"Of course; then it is natural that you would all be friends," Imogen replied. She could have guessed as much, though, she thought to herself impatiently. It was hardly a revelation. She had thought that Miss Pritchard was a little less prim than this. "And that you and Miss Hampton, as such close relations, should be inseperable." This was not quite what she had been hoping for when she had wished to know more of Charity's opinions; this was less opinions and more a bald statement of the fact that they knew each other since they were babes in arms. Hopefully something a little more substantial would be forthcoming?

"I should like very much to meet Miss Hampton. However, you need not trouble yourself to bring her. I am quite well enough to pay calls, and would be happy to call on you both, and your aunt, with my mother." She paused here, looking to Lady Huntingdon for agreement, which was readily given.

--------------------
Imogen's Profile
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Locked

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2301 seconds | Archive