Welcome to Royal Dublin Fusiliers Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Joseph Burke St Julien - Ypres - 24th May, 1915
jb007uk
Posted: Jul 31 2008, 01:11 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 65

Hi,

Only aquired my Great Uncle's Christian name this week whilst in Dublin visting my relatives.

As a resut I am building a small website in respect of my relative who died like so many others so young and all because of the hand that he was dealt at the time in Ireland.

If anyone has any info on the battle that took place on 24th May 1915 at St Julien, whereby 645 men were lost out of 666 then please do get in touch.

Thank you.

Joseph Burke
Solihull
Conor Dodd
Posted: Sep 4 2008, 02:37 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The battle at Mouse Trap Farm is quite a famous one in the history of the RDF, the CWGC describes it as
"Located half-a-mile north of Wieltje, originally a moated farm with outbuildings. It was first given the name 'Shell Trap Farm' by the British. The unhappy associations of this designation were held to be detrimental to the garrison's morale and the position was subsequently re-named by the Staff as 'Mouse Trap Farm'. On the morning of the attack on 24 May 1915 what was left of the farm after the bombardment ('a mere heap of mud and rubbish') was defended by two platoons of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers; being a mere 30 yards from the enemy trenches the rapid occupation of the farm by the quick-moving German infantry was little short of inevitable"
There was also research recently published about the RDF in the battle. Best of luck with the website I look forward to seeing it and if you have your relations details I will see if I can find any information on him. I also have some photos of the farm today if you would like them.

Conoruser posted image
jb007uk
Posted: Sep 4 2008, 07:23 PM

Hi Conor,

Many thanks for the info it is very much appreciated. I have started my website at freewebs.com/josephburke which was obviously my great uncle's name. As a result my Grandfather named my Father Joseph in memory of his Brother.

Anyway any additional info would be great, particularly as to any info on why they joined up although as the family were poverty stricken and living in the tenaments around Fitzwilliam sq? with an alcoholic Mother it is is safe to safe why one of the Brothers joined to fight overseas.

I plan to visit Ypes within the next 2 years.

Thanks again - Joe Burke
Conor Dodd
Posted: Sep 9 2008, 11:28 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I am still looking into whatever information I can find and will let you when I turn anything interesting up. In the mean time this photo you might be interested in.

user posted image

Joseph Burke´s name on the Menin Gate Memorial

jb007uk
Posted: Sep 19 2008, 06:57 AM

Hi Conor,

Many thanks for the further info it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Joe Burke
jb007uk
Posted: Sep 22 2008, 08:32 PM

Hi Conor,

Just to let you know that I added the photos to my website and included an acknowledgement to this website.

Kind regards - Joe Burke
Joxer
Posted: Sep 26 2008, 09:53 PM

Member No.: 81

Hi Joe,

My GGF died May 10th close to that area. I have a document you would be interested in. If you post your email address I'll forward it onto you

Joxer
jb007uk
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 07:03 PM

Hi Conor,

Any new documents available regarding the gassing at Mouse Trap Farm - 24 May 1915? I was just watching "who do you think you are" about James Moyles of Radio 1 fame and his Irish roots which spurned me into action!

Kind regards - Joe Burke
jb007uk
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 07:28 PM

BTW, I quoted the following in this thread which was info given to me in good faith. Some guy on another forum has stated that this number is incorrect and that a lesser number of RDF died that day. Any definitive info greatly appreciated. Rgds - Joe Burke

"If anyone has any info on the battle that took place on 24th May 1915 at St Julien, whereby 645 men were lost out of 666 then please do get in touch."
cleroc
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 03:22 PM

Member No.: 421

At this battle the 2nd dubs were nearly destroyed, the casualty rate was around 645 men killed and wounded and 21 men were known to have survived,the bn didnt take part in any action for the rest of the year. They were part of the 10th brig,4th dn, the bn was heavily involved in the sub battles of st.julien, frezenburg and bellewaarde of the 2nd battle of ypres, this is were most of the casualties occured. only later on the 24th of may the unit was decimated because of a gas attack near st julien.
jb007uk
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 08:12 PM

Many thanks to Cleroc and particularly Joxer for their help.

Kind regards - Joe Burke
« Next Oldest | Specific Queries | Next Newest »

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1389 seconds | Archive