InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Evan Lysacek Fan Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

> Important

Congratulations Evan!
2009 World Champion
2009-2010 ISU Grand Prix Final Champion
2010 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST!!!

Follow ELFF on twitter

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Evan named Sports Envoy, for US Dept. of State
merrybari
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 150

Details of his appointment and his itinerary in Sweden

>>HERE<<

According to the article, this is just his first assignment. They could not have chosen anyone better.

I truly believe he is meant to do this work. Part of his greater destiny!

Go Evan!!!!!!! :1st: :clap: :hug: :victory:

--------------------
"...if you get out there and fight and give it everything you have ... then some pretty cool things are possible." ~ Evan Lysacek

Keeper of: Evan's nerves and his 2010 Vancouver Olympics "Firebird" SP
Send PMSend Email
nightowl
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

World Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 915

Oh wow! Congratulations Evan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send PMWebsite
#1Evanfan
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Olympic Champion

Member No.: 781

That is such exciting news!

--------------------
Diehard Evan Fan through the best of the best and the worst of the worst
Keeper of Evan's winning skates at the Olympics, his reactions and his incredible sportsmanship
user posted image
Send PMSend Email
nightowl
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

World Champion

Lysacek said he had been working with the State Department to prepare his speeches and has been doing some traveling to acclimate himself to his new position. He recently took a trip to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, where there is a growing awareness of the need for physical exercise for women and young people.

"I gave an exhibition there, and they didn't advertise it, and 6,000 people came," he said."

More quotes from Evan in this Ice Network article from last Friday:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp...6&vkey=ice_news

:dothetwist:
Send PMWebsite
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

More information and insights

>>HERE<<

I found this quote especially revealing:

U.S. Figure Skating Association and Lysacek were recently at odds over endorsement contracts regarding product category sponsorships.

Finally confirming what we all knew: The impasse was NOT about money, but something much more fundamental. So happy Shep Goldberg has come on board to straighten this out and get him back on competition ice.

BTW: Goldberg is from a little town, Northville, Michigan, where I spent a lot of time visiting an aunt and uncle who lived there when I was a little girl. Who knew!!?Really small world.

--------------------
"...if you get out there and fight and give it everything you have ... then some pretty cool things are possible." ~ Evan Lysacek

Send PMSend Email
nightowl
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

World Champion

I dunno, Mary. This article seems very fishy to me. Who is Raymond Rolak? National Correspondent for...boxscorenews.com? It has typos, wrong information (Saudi Arabia), quotes and stuff they failed to attribute to other sources -- that last one is the biggest red flag to me.

To me, when I read it last night after I saw the numerous retweets on Twitter, I immediately dismissed it as one of these pseudo-journalism articles that plague the Internet. But what do I know? :(
Send PMWebsite
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

QUOTE (nightowl @ Apr 11 2012, 04:29 PM)
I dunno, Mary. This article seems very fishy to me. Who is Raymond Rolak? National Correspondent for...boxscorenews.com? It has typos, wrong information (Saudi Arabia), quotes and stuff they failed to attribute to other sources -- that last one is the biggest red flag to me.

To me, when I read it last night after I saw the numerous retweets on Twitter, I immediately dismissed it as one of these pseudo-journalism articles that plague the Internet. But what do I know? :(

Article seemed on the up-and -up to me. It's my observation that many if not most journalists are sometimes sloppy in their research - especially if they are in a hurry to meet a deadline, relying on memory rather than fact. I'm not excusing it, just saying.

I'm suspecting the reference to Saudi Arabia was actually for the trip to Dubai.

Never did hear of the author before, but that doesn't make him subject to doubt imo. Guess I'll have to look him up and see what info there is before I make that determination. :)

As for the rest, I didn't find anything that hadn't been said albeit in a different way in other articles written. But, then what do I know, either?

--------------------

Send PMSend Email
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

About Raymond Rolak:
A sports broadcaster / journalist based in Michigan.
Writes primarily for the Polish American news network.
Articles can be found by googling his name.

Found some where he reported on the sports program at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. The Polish - American Sports Hall of Fame [not actual title of event, but close, because frankly, I'm too lazy to go back and look it up again - trusting on my memory - shame on me. :)

Here's a link to a random article / blog:
http://www.detroitsportsbroadcasters.com/b...ond-rolak-blog/

Given that he is from Michigan he may - and I say may - have a connection to Shep Goldberg, Evan's new agent, who is also from that same southeastern area of the state. Which could be why he is just now entering into the journalistic dialogue re: Evan.

Obviously, he's not high profile nationally like Phil Hersh, but seems to have his own nitch in the state. All this leads me to believe his information is legitimate.

--------------------

Send PMSend Email
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

As a former teacher and the fact that I'm one of those who likes to know the "whys" behind things, bear with me while I share what little research I did on the Saudi Arabia reference. I know so little about that part of the world, Evan's traveling there has piqued my curiosity to know more.

What I found out is that Dubai (part of the United Arab Emirates) is located on the Saudi Arabian peninsula; hence Rolak's reference to Goldberg citing Saudi Arabia as the location for the skating seminars Evan conducted earlier.

Link to info on Dubai on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai

I also then sought a map of the Saudi Arabian peninsula to find out exactly where Dubai is located on the peninsula:

http://asia-map.blogspot.com/2011/09/saudi...y-pictures.html

Thanks nightowl for starting my engines on learning more. :hug: about the area where Evan started his diplomatic career. Maybe this should have a thread all it's own. :lol:

--------------------

Send PMSend Email
nightowl
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

World Champion

Good points about Saudi Arabia and Michigan but the article still comes off pretty weird to me. I just clicked on their homepage and I see Polak's picture and that he just wrote something on Belarus. Hmm. Unfortunately, I have to suspend my research due to "real life" interfering! If I'm completely off-base dismissing this article/writer, then I'll offer my mea culpa! Lord knows I've been wrong before. :P :hug:
Send PMWebsite
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

No mea culpa necessary. This has started an interesting - to me anyway - discussion and is leading to research in the quest of knowledge. A win-win no matter what happens along the way. :hug:

That said, I find nothing fishy or even inaccurate or contradictory in his article. Rather more a rehash of what others have already said in other places earlier.

Will be very interested in what turns up.

--------------------

Send PMSend Email
nightowl
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

World Champion

Mary, I still doubt that Rolak was in communication with Shep Goldberg, connections to Michigan notwithstanding. The way I read that one line about Saudi Arabia and overwhelming crowds, it doesn't seem to me Rolak was claiming he was. But I think we may just have to agree to disagree on that one!

Also, when Rolak writes this:
U.S. Figure Skating Association and Lysacek were recently at odds over endorsement contracts regarding product category sponsorships.

I feel that is just a rehash of Phil Hersh's most recent article:
Sources with knowledge of the negotiations told me the main sticking point involved individual sponsorship contracts Lysacek currently has and could get in the future.  The federation seemingly wanted to keep him from getting deals in any product categories where it already had sponsors, even though such restrictions would run counter to U.S. Olympic Committee rules for active Olympians.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04...petitive-figure

I think many writers employed by Internet sites do this. They read a bunch of articles that are other people's original reporting. They pick out the quotes, paraphrase everything else so no one can accuse them of plagiarism, look up some other stuff on Google/Wiki to add as filler, and then Wa-lah! You've got a brand new article!

So there I go abusing poor Mr. Rolak again! :lol2:
Send PMWebsite
merrybari
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Figure Skating Legend

I totally agree there was nothing new in the article. Have no idea and was only speculating that he MAY have had contact with Goldberg. No reason to believe he did actually.

I do like that he seems to have summarized events even though he didn't research the story or do any of the interviews himself.

--------------------

Send PMSend Email
SoCalMAB
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 12:46 AM
Quote Post

Novice

Member No.: 899

I think it is prudent to note that "Sponsorship" contracts are not "Endorsement" contracts. Sponsors contribute to training costs, etc. Endorsement contracts provide income. This is an oft-appearing error when discussing amateur athletes, which Evan is.
Send PMSend Email
#1Evanfan
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Olympic Champion

Member No.: 781

I can't think of anyone better than Evan for the job.

--------------------
Diehard Evan Fan through the best of the best and the worst of the worst
Keeper of Evan's winning skates at the Olympics, his reactions and his incredible sportsmanship
user posted image
Send PMSend Email
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Add us to your favorites

All graphics � Evan Lysacek Online, Leah Adams, Jay Adeff, Adam & Devon Stein, Jeffrey Nicholson, J. Barry Mittan, Mika, Music By Rachel, Michelle Wojdyla, Andrea Chempinski, Sarah S. Brannen, Moon, Sean O'Connor, Antonia Reitter, BB-Staff, Tracy Marks, Heather Winfield, Masako, USFSA, and Associated Press. FreeDomain.co.nr

Do you want to be an affiliate? E-mail us.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.6232 seconds | Archive