zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Devilmaydance. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

As DMD ends... what's left to explain?
ranma-tim
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 01:17 PM

Protagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

We're now almost half-way through the final 32-page part of Devil May Dance, and things are starting to wrap up.

By the end, as I've got it planned, everything should have become clear. But to check if I've missed anything, and to see what people are most interested in, I'm making this thread to ask: what outstanding questions raised by the story so far do you most want to see answered?
ranma-tim
Posted: Aug 12 2012, 01:52 PM

Protagonist

From Darian in the shoutbox:
I think I'd like to know most about what Blank has to do about all of this and Jaguar's involvement.

That and who swapped with who, of course.

Interesting answers - particularly Jaguar. Who gave him Ebony and Ivory anyway?
Boradis
Posted: Aug 18 2012, 03:09 PM

Blade

Member No.: 42

I'm a bit confused about Bathnarzle and Mundus' need to keep the timeline straight.

If I understand correctly, Bathnarzle works for future (2499) Mundus, but in doing so is working against present (1999) Mundus. Right?

Why does Mundus need to do that? I know it was alluded to by Bathnarzle that it's a big deal, but considering what a SOB Mundus is I wouldn't be surprised if he felt fine with messing up the timeline so his 2499 self was ruler of both Earth and Hell.

Also, does Future Mundus have any plans? Are there any heirs to the Sparda lineage to keep him in check? Personally I figure Dante and Nero should be pretty long-lived, considering Sparda lived at least 2,000 years before dying in a fight of some kind.

On that note, despite what other DMC fans think, I personally think of the "Legendary Dark Knight" alternate costume available in several of the games (DMC1, 3, UMVC3) was actually Future Dante. I prefer to think of Sparda as looking like his original concept art, shown here. I think that guy looks more like a demon trying to pass for a human.

Minor, minor, minor trivial nerdy thing: Is there any connection between Nevan, Shadows and Plasmas?
ranma-tim
Posted: Aug 28 2012, 11:58 AM

Protagonist

Some great questions there! A few I can address right away:

The idea that Bathnarzle tries to avoid the timeline getting "messed up" (as he says here) is more specifically that the timeline has to be stable (and paradox-free) for final victory in 2499 to be assured. For example, if something Ulala does in 1999 has the knock-on effect that she's never born, she doesn't get sent back to 1999... so then she is born, and does get sent back... so creating a paradox.

Bathnarzle describes a paradox as 'universe-cracking', which presumably has to be avoided if anyone has plans to do anything in the universe after 2499! Of course, as you say, quite who Bathnarzle works for or what he's really planning currently remains unclear.

As for Nero, I haven't factored him in - he arrived a bit late to get in on the early planning (2008, and the comic started in 2006!), and as I say I haven't played DMC4 yet so he hasn't entered my mental DMC canon!

I also favour the LDK-costume-as-Future-Dante hypothesis - I feel like I wrote something about that many years back, but can't seem to find it any more.

Finally, no, I haven't been working with any underlying theories of DMC monster taxonomies, sorry!
Boradis
Posted: Sep 3 2012, 06:31 PM

Blade

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (ranma-tim @ Aug 28 2012, 01:58 AM)
Some great questions there! A few I can address right away:

Ok, so then this "play through" of Dante vs. Mundus isn't the final final battle of your story then? You don't have to say, but it seems an obvious conclusion. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

I mentioned Nero just to give another (living) example of the Sparda bloodline. At the end of DMC1 Dante says something to the effect that when Mundus tries to come back in 2,000 years there'd be an heir of Sparda to stop him then too which actually lead to my conclusion regarding the LDK costume.

Speaking of that costume, I also dimly remember discussing it. But since it could have been as much as six years ago(!) I forget what was said. Thanks for validating my fan theory though.

QUOTE (ranma-tim @ Aug 28 2012, 01:58 AM)

Finally, no, I haven't been working with any underlying theories of DMC monster taxonomies, sorry!

Swell. The one thing I've felt this series has always lacked was more video game monster taxonomy and ecology. Guess I'll have to go write my own now.

Thanks a lot "Tim" if that's even your real name. d-tongue.gif
ranma-tim
Posted: Sep 14 2012, 07:56 AM

Protagonist

Heh heh... well at this point, I'll let the comic do the talking, in particular the very next two pages!
« Next Oldest | The Comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2130 seconds · Archive