Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Forum Rules Board Guidelines

1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.
In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story. Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.
Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Gifts from St. Giga
MadHatter
Posted: Feb 11 2009, 05:03 AM

Oracle

Group: Certified Members
Member No.: 193

I was interested in what sorts of gifts and prizes fans would get for winning contests and accomplishing goals. Here's the sort of thing they'd get:

user posted image

The text that accompanied this image read:
ゲーム虎の太鼓判という番組のプレゼントで「ビートマニアポケット」が当たりました!
素敵な手紙が同封されて届きましたよ。
The hallmark of a tiger gift game show called "BeatMania Pocket" hit from below!
I enclose a letter I received was wonderful.

The same site showed other gifts, although I couldn't make much of the accompanying text.
Images can be seen here, here, and here.

Another thing that interested me was this page which shows people in a recording studio of some kind. Could they be doing the live voice broadcasts!?

The site that I found all of this can be found here. The webmaster (Katsun?) seems like a really nice guy who unfortunately got in on the whole Satellaview thing a bit late (in 1999). He discusses St. Giga's shift into internet, FM radio, and RandNetDD, he has a small English section of his page and he has many suggestions (most dead-links, unfortunately) about where to go for more information. The best suggestions I found were:
*Pink Pink's Website - This Japanese blogger can be written to, but Katsun warns that Masu Yoki (whoever that is) is rather less than polite. As a bonus, though, Pink Pink herself is pretty cute as evidenced from her photo gallery...
*Pesanno's Website - Pesanno seems to be a music enthusiast and apparently he can be written to. Here are some Satellaview tunes of Pesanno's that Katsun links to.
*Hiro-n's site - This guy has a few satellaview-related links on his front page, including a Satellaview Memorial.
Con
Posted: Feb 11 2009, 09:20 AM

Waiting for the dawn
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

blink.gif WTF???!!!!
They...sent...you...candies?! wacko.gif

well, japanese people, always hungry tongue.gif

The beatmania is ok, but I'd prefer gameboy when it comes to those handhelds.

--------------------

user posted image
Duke Serkol
Posted: Feb 11 2009, 03:06 PM

Where'd that Princess go?
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

I always liked to imagine that they would be sending gadgets themed after whatever game was mastered.

--------------------
user posted image
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Feb 12 2009, 06:26 AM

The overly enthused BS-X nerd.

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 124

On the SFC Mania Blog, I recall there was something that looked like a "Certificate" for being BS Fuurai no Shiren.
MadHatter
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 01:13 AM

Oracle

Hmm. Interesting. Do you have a link, Kiddo? I'd be quite interested in following up on that.

I've been pretty fascinated by these St.GIGA gift prizes, so I did a little more digging and I found one fan's list of presents he either knew about or received (he'd marked them in blue if he'd received them and red if he hadn't). I also found some more pictures of gifts that match this guy's descriptions from another site, so I've linked them below. I guess the most interesting thing to me is that this spells out which prizes went with which games. Anyway, here's my translation of the list of prizes:
-------------------------------------------------
Maruyoshi's Prize List
(Missed prizes in red, received prizes in blue)
(Unless specified, the results are selected by lottery.)
October's BS The Legend of Zelda 88 --- Postcard certificate awards
BS Super Mario USA Power Challenge No. 60 --- Postcard certificate awards
Satellite Location Sumo (Takara Cup) --- Calling card of the Samurai Spirit
BS Shin Onegashima New story (50 or 100 points?) --- Original BS Shin Onegashima card (flying Award)
BS F-Zero Grand Prix --- BS F-Zero data set collection
Charge of the big laugh! Star Pirates (1st place) --- St.GIGA Original Ballpoint Pen (see also: pic#2)
Charge of the big laugh! Star Pirates (?th place) --- St.GIGA Original Watch (See also: pic#2
Satellawalker (1st place, 2nd place, tied top score) --- St.GIGA Original Purse
DoReMi Original Story SoundWitch ~Blue SoundWitch~ --- St.GIGA Original Watch
BS Fire Emblem Akaneia Senki --- St.GIGA Original Purse
Satella Q Farewell Q Year-end account balancing! --- Usage problems!
Fall Sound Journal --- St.GIGA Original Watch
3rd place: Pick Your Soundlink Game Masterpiece --- St.GIGA Original Watch
Satella Side-Street postcard usage! --- Group photo of everyone in the city, Pin Badge
We-Q Special answer all the questions correctly! --- Puzzle Eraser

Please note: It's old, they may have forgotten some.
-------------------------------------------------

It's too bad there's no indication in the list of Beatmania or any food prizes... Anyway as far as I know this may be old news, but I though it would be best to put it in this thread to keep all of the prizes together. There are a lot of prizes mentioned in the transcripts of Satellaview Communications Magazine over at Kameb's site, but it's a little difficult to determine which are prizes for contests and which are collectibles that can be purchased. To tell the truth I just haven't had enough time to sift through it all. I'll leave that for a future post. wink.gif
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 04:41 AM

Woah, Samurai Spirits? Takara did the SNES port of that NeoGeo Classic... I 'd like to see if I could find that calling card going around. I should ask someone at NeoGeo.com...

As for the BS Fuurai no Shiren thing...

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/randnetdd/e/a2cdf0a9...7930bbdfd20d281

Those pictures at the bottom almost look like some sort of certificate of authenticity.

http://bsx.seesaa.net/article/32986206.html - this article looks like it shows the BS Shin Onigashima calling card.

http://bsx.seesaa.net/article/33999548.html - and this looks like an Itoi Shigesato Fishing Bait...

I also uploaded a few other pics I found...

user posted image - Satellaview Tsushin calling card...

(EDIT

user posted image - Could this be the Samurai Spirits Calling Card?

This post has been edited by KiddoCabbusses on Feb 23 2009, 06:57 AM
Duke Serkol
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 03:44 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (MadHatter @ Feb 23 2009, 01:13 AM)
BS F-Zero Grand Prix --- BS F-Zero data set collection

Data collection? Now that has me curious.

--------------------
user posted image
MadHatter
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 07:07 PM

Oracle

Duke: Agreed. I am wary of getting people's hopes up too high since this is just my attempt to translate the line, but the original phrase is:
"BS F-ZERO設定資料集"
And here are what the various robo-trans say:
Google: BS F-ZERO setting materials
Babel Fish: BS F-ZERO setting data collection
Excite: BS F-ZERO setting material collection

My theory... It seems the kanji breakdown they're making looks like this:
BS F-ZERO (BS F-ZERO) = BS F-ZERO
設定 (settei) = creation, establishment, settlement, setting
資料 (shiryo) = data feed, records
資料集 (shiryozu) = end game position

So maybe it's something amazing or maybe it's not. Perhaps it's a save state of some kind? Background info on the characters? A placemat? I'm not very clear on what it might be.

Kiddo: That's great! Where on earth did you find that? Are there expired-calling-card-trading groups online that I'm just unaware of? Also, you probably know this already but it was new to me. It looks like new images of the Satellaview box art are beginning to surface. Prior to just recently all I'd seen were those brown cardboard affairs, but this is some slick blue slipcover. It's easy to find in case you haven't seen it yet or for anyone else who is interested. There is one for sale on ebay currently that shows off its blue cover. I notice there is an auction for promo poster cards as well. Here's a better pic of the same thing from a different site. Now if only I could find a picture of the St.GIGA Original Purse, Pin Badge, and Puzzle Eraser

General question: Obviously none of us have any ROMs of our own since that's all material of borderline legality, but all the same I have a question about ROMs. Maybe one of you guys have a friend who knows about this quasi-legal stuff and could help me. I'm wondering what the difference is between ROMs marked "(J)" and those marked "(J) [h1]" is one just a raw dump and the other a playable copy? What is this "[h]" business all about? Normally I'd just ask my "friend" to test it on the old emulator, but I'm sans emulator at the moment...

This post has been edited by MadHatter on Feb 23 2009, 07:23 PM
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 07:25 PM

"Settlement records End Game Position"... that could possibly refer to an official paper showing your total score. The other thing it could be is some more data on the BS versions' exclusive cars.

The pictures were ones I found at Yahoo Japan Auctions - the Satellaview Tsushin one I found a long time ago and archived. You reminded me to upload it, thanks! as for the Samurai Spirits one, I ran a search on the game last night and came across it. Asking some NeoGeo fans, they told me Takara gave those out very frequently as freebies/prizes for promotions.
As for the Satellaview box-art, yeah, those are neat to see - I recall hearing the fancier packaging was used for in-store purchases. There's some good pictures of them now if you look. as for the Poster cards, I've been collecting some pictures of them. I got scans of the "Mario in Space" advertising Tamori's Pictures and the Jigsaw Puzzle game, a BS Dragon Quest one, an Itoi Shigesato one and a BS Super Mario USA one. There's also apparently a BS Zelda MAP1 ad, but we've only been able to locate an undetailed, low-quality thumbnail of it - it has the Satellite Dish mascot wielding the sword and shield, standing atop an oversized triforce.

[h] ROMs are confirmed "hacked" ROMs. I tend to avoid these because they're confusing and it's diffiuclt to tell exactly what was hacked in many of them. (And all the hacks of BS Zelda Map 1, Week 3 made many forget an original dump even existed, and was good.)
ROMs merely marked "(J)" are technically "unverified", but in the context of Satellaview, those are in many cases the closest we got to "verified good", which is usually "(J) (!)" (Most recent dumps now are gonna be "verified good", though). I've played through most of those and the majority of them work on at least one emulator (Notable exception is the one labeled "satella2 1", which seems to be a SatellaWalker ROM) Games that are verified BAD DUMPS are marked (B), and unfortunately the two Kirby dumps are confirmed that way and there's some suspiciousness about the Sekiban dumps as well. A few of the e-books are bad dumps as well, but not much interest in obtaining better dumps of those...
Duke Serkol
Posted: Feb 24 2009, 02:04 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (KiddoCabbusses @ Feb 23 2009, 07:25 PM)
"Settlement records End Game Position"... that could possibly refer to an official paper showing your total score.

Ah yes, that seems most likely.

--------------------
user posted image
Tre
Posted: Feb 24 2009, 10:26 AM

Officially retired
Group Icon

Member No.: 33

It used to be (I don't know that it still is) that [J] or (J) is merely the "Japanese Dump" of a game. [U] or (U) is the USA/American release version. and of course [B] or (B) is a bad dump. If you see [H] and a number, that's a hack followed by it's "known hack order" (so [H4] would be after [H1]).

However, most of this is all based on Cowering's work with his "Goodxxx" tools (GoodSNES, GoodNES, etc) and is the "accepted standard" in roms/emulation.

I should know, because I've wasted a good deal of time collecting roms in the past. :D

--------------------
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.
MadHatter
Posted: Feb 26 2009, 07:35 AM

Oracle

QUOTE (MadHatter @ Feb 23 2009, 07:07 PM)
maybe it's something amazing or maybe it's not. Perhaps it's a save state of some kind? Background info on the characters? A placemat? I'm not very clear on what it might be.

Something else that has been bugging me relating to (*gasp*) data collections is this entry from pages 96-97 of the September 1995 issue of the ASCII publication, Satellaview Tsuushin:

締切直前!ギリギリセーフ!イキナリ情報 第1回
[イキナリPART1]イベント情報BSゼルダの伝説でプレゼントをもらおう!!
1)ゲームの成績表
2)なんとプレゼントはメモリーパックだ!!
3)BSゼルダにはいろいろな仕掛けがあるのだ
3a)行き止まりがある!!
3b)必聴!耳をすませっ!
4)AK LIVEヒットギャング秘話
[イキナリPART2]
スーパーファミコンアワーに中森明菜が登場

These are article headings that Kameb has up on his site instead of scans of the magazines. I wish he had the actual scans... Anyway this is the rough translation:

Just before the deadline! GIRIGIRISEFU! The information once IKINARI
[IKINARI PART1] event and get a gift BS Legend of Zelda!
1)Table games results
2)What is a memory gift pack!
3)BS Zelda is in a different mechanism
3a)There is a dead end!
3b)Zelda have TIME!
3c)Missed! Whisper of the Heart going!
4)AK LIVE privacy gang hit
[IKINARI PART2]
Nakamori Akina appeared in Super Hour

Item #2 really interests me especially in context with the "get a gift BS Legend of Zelda!" line.
The machine-trans tools give:
Google: What is a memory gift pack!
Babel Fish: The how present is the memo repack!!
Excite: The present is memory very packing.

Kanji Breakdown:
なんと (nanto) = how, what, whatever
プレゼント (purezento) = present
は (ha) = edge
メモリーパック (memori-pakku) = memory pack
だ!! (da!!) = stop, capture

So this looks really good to me. I tried a trick I've used in the past when I really can't understand something, and I ran the phrase through google image search.
The F-Zero term we were talking about, "設定資料集" seems to show a lot of DVD collections and such for whatever that's worth.
The Ikinari Part1-BS Zelda term, "メモリーパック," however shows up on Google Image as exactly what gets me most excited: honest to god memory packs.

Now that would be a prize worth competing for!
Duke Serkol
Posted: Feb 26 2009, 03:36 PM

Group Icon

Maybe they were justadditional empty memory cards to store more downloadable games (such as ALttP)?

I mean, everything so far has pointed against the BS Zelda's being playable outside of the broadcast times, so...

--------------------
user posted image
MadHatter
Posted: Feb 26 2009, 06:26 PM

Oracle

True. Still, if they had BSTLoZ decals on them or if they were gold-colored or whatever I'd still be in a dither. smile.gif
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Mar 11 2009, 08:51 PM

Guys, recently this popped up on Yahoo Japan Auctions:

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k114833591

A "Satellaview Tsushin" Poncho...?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | BS-X | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1176 seconds | Archive