zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Forum Rules Board Guidelines

1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.
In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story. Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.
Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Pages: (9) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

For some reason I looked at the Restoration..
MottZilla
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 05:30 PM

Heir to the Seven

Group: Certified Members
Member No.: 84

As I stated in the note file, the menu part had two problems. Number one someone incorrectly thought to do a Branch Always over a series of NOPs which isn't a bad idea in certain other places where code was removed and just wastes some cpu time. However they removed critical timing related NOPs in relation to the MUL/DIV registers causing problems. One of which caused the music/sound to be playing the wrong sound effects and eventually locking up.

Secondly the input reading routine was incorrectly waiting for the Auto Joypad read data to be valid. Between these two fixes, everything is fine to get you into the game apparently. But beyond that as we know Kiddo had noted problems.

So like I said, it works better now, but by no means does it seem 100%. My patch is still the best way to play the game on real hardware.

This post has been edited by MottZilla on Jan 8 2012, 05:32 PM
Con
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 10:48 PM

We call it life
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

It is indeed happy.gif I hope we can get the sram issue fixed as well...

Edit
Red just told me that AST 4 MB works on sd2snes without problems. I don't know what this is - real hardware still confuses me. I read on the page that it works with SD card, so maybe it is similar to powerpak

http://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

--------------------

user posted image
MottZilla
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 02:47 AM

Heir to the Seven

The thing about playing on real hardware that can vary is the loading mechanism. If a ROM is properly detected and the ROM and SRAM (if present) is mapped correctly then everything will be fine. Usually if something doesn't work on one flash cart but does on another, it's probably related to the loading and subsequent mapping of rom & ram.
Con
Posted: Jan 11 2012, 11:02 AM

We call it life
Group Icon

I took a short look at the sram used in Restoration patch

30:6000 slot 1
30:6500 slot 2
30:6A00 slot 3
At this sram address different things are saved manually, like ingame time (7F:FFFF).

31:6000 slot 1
32:6000 slot 2
33:6000 slot 3
At this sram address 7E:6000-7E:7FFF all items are saved (progress)

34:6000 slot 1
35:6000 slot 2
36:6000 slot 3
At this sram address 7E:2000-7E:2FFF all dungeon maps are saved.

Typical code for saving:
CODE

$CE/EB94 B7 03       LDA [$03],y[$7F:2FFF]   A:7F20 X:0065 Y:0FFF
$CE/EB96 97 00       STA [$00],y[$35:6FFF]   A:7F60 X:0065 Y:0FFF
$CE/EB98 88          DEY                     A:7F60 X:0065 Y:0FFF
$CE/EB99 D0 F9       BNE $F9    [$EB94]      A:7F60 X:0065 Y:0FFE

My best guess here is that Real hardware doesn't take the 30-36 save banks... do you have an idea or which sram banks did you use?

Edit:
I found a short response in a thread of zophar domain:

HiROM usually maps SRAM to $[20-3f|a0-bf]:[6000-7fff], and LoROM usually maps SRAM to $[70-7f|f0-ff]:[0000-7fff], mirrored appropriately. Note that for LoROM, WRAM always overshadows SRAM in banks $7e and $7f, but you can access it at $fe and $ff where it is mirrored.

But really, it's up to the mapper. The SNES only puts the address on the bus, it's up to the cartridge memory mapper to respond. Same for writes. Luckily, most standardized on layouts that were compatible with HiROM and LoROM. But not all games did.

It's best to use $20:6000 for the start of HiROM SRAM, and $70:0000 for the start of LoROM SRAM. That's the most compatible

So 30:6000-3f:6000 are valid locations to map data in hirom... but maybe 20:6000 works better?

--------------------

user posted image
MottZilla
Posted: Jan 11 2012, 07:12 PM

Heir to the Seven

Maybe I'll test the game on my PowerPAK when i get a chance. Different Flash Carts may handle SRAM mapping differently, or have more than another. 64KB of SRAM is ALOT which you may not realize. This actually makes reproduction carts alot harder because very few games used that much SRAM.
Con
Posted: Jan 11 2012, 09:39 PM

We call it life
Group Icon

Yes I know. At the time I was requested to save dungeon maps I had no other solution than enlarging sram. And 64k is no prob for emulators and rh didn't work that time.

In any case it is great that you are going to look at it when you have time smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image
MottZilla
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 12:14 AM

Heir to the Seven

I actually meant that 64K SRAM was a plus to deter selling bootleg BS Zelda carts of the restoration.
SmashManiac
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 04:04 AM

Legend

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 160

That's got to be the first time I hear anybody saying that increasing manufacturing costs is a good thing. laugh.gif

But honestly, I'm pretty sure that won't stop anybody.

--------------------
user posted image
MottZilla
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 04:43 AM

Heir to the Seven

Oh I think it might indeed stop people from doing the Restoration but then again my patch is far better suited for carts and more likely to be used.
Con
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 10:44 AM

We call it life
Group Icon

No I enlarged sram to that size due to I didn't know how to do it better at that time. In any case it is our goal to increase compatibility of all roms provided... If TQ/FQ will be playable on rh I also consider buying such a powerpak. drool.gif

Oh I think it might indeed stop people from doing the Restoration but then again my patch is far better suited for carts and more likely to be used.

I do not think that your patch ever will become obsolete, even if we get 100% rh compatibility for restoration.
These roms we offer are not competing - they are alternative projects for people who prefer this way of playing over the other. For example I favour the classic zelda gamestyle and will always prefer TQ/FQ, though the restoration will give in-depth detail with the story. Other people who like it more practical, a more fluid gameplay with retro experience and 100% compatibility to watch the game process on TV with rh emulation will choose your project.

--------------------

user posted image
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 11:56 PM

The overly enthused BS-X nerd.

Member No.: 124

Bumping this because I was linking it another forum and just realized the link to the patch is down.

Unfortunately I don't have the patch myself at the moment, but here's a pre-patched ROM.

Edit: Dagnabbit, sorry con! hopefully fixed.

This post has been edited by KiddoCabbusses on Mar 29 2012, 07:11 PM
Con
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 05:34 PM

We call it life
Group Icon

The link does not work - username and password required.
What exactly are you trying to link to?

--------------------

user posted image
KiddoCabbusses
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 07:11 PM

The overly enthused BS-X nerd.

Member No.: 124

Whoops! URL goof.

Fixed.
Con
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 11:01 AM

We call it life
Group Icon

If this rom is rh compatible it is awesome happy.gif
Unfortunately, it is an old version (new waitsigns, pics are not included), so if you are able to get the raw patch for map 1 & 2 (it may even work with tq / fq) we'll have a happy new update soon smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image
Con
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 04:09 PM

We call it life
Group Icon

could you try this patch on map 1 restoration on rh? I compared the code and maybe this is the crucial change for rh compatibility

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 3 )
Attached File  rh_fix.ips ( bytes)

--------------------

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (9) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Quick Reply

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0708 seconds | Archive