Hello all! I know that Johnson has sent out some updates lately, but please also read this e-mail for information about the rest of the season.
First, I want to restate what Johnson has already said -- We need to start really practicing at practice and please sign up for tournaments in a timely matter.
Really, it's becoming increasingly important to do so -- and here's why:
1) There are only TWO tournaments left for everyone - Linfield and Mt. Hood C.C. Realize that after that, only SOME will move on to district, nat. quals, etc.
2) Even will that, there are some serious limits to Linfield (and maybe Mt. Hood). READ the notes on the Linfield sign-up. You will notice that there are only 6
spots for each IE and get this -- 6 TOTAL debate spots for Linfield. This means that people that do "popular" events like impromptu and LD, may not be
able to do your event at Linfield. Only the top 6 "best" people will be going. SIGN UP as you wish, but understand that the decision will be made by the coaches.
Again, if you are not at practice or practicing -- you will probably not be competing at Linfield.
3) Please understand that I'm not trying to be harsh, it's just the reality of a team the size of ours. Everyone is not guaranteed a spot at tournaments like district
and Nat. Quals. I've tried to explain this before, but please read this:
- For district (state qualifier): There are only UP TO three spots in each event. Three people can try to qualify to state, but the reality is that only 2, maybe three people
from our entire district (Hillsboro schools, us, and Aloha) actually go to state.
- For Nat. Quals district (national qualifer): There are only UP TO four spots in each event. This depends on how many NFL members we have and the strength of our members.
The top two (maybe three) from all of Northern Oregon (Salem North) actually will go to nationals. (National events: USX, FX, LDV, CX, PF, Duo, HI, DI, OO) Don't know what that
means, please ask.
Both tournaments use specific formulas for how many total entries can go -- and of what kind. Again, DON'T EXPECT a spot. It is becoming increasingly clear who
has "earned" those spots through dedication, success, etc.
I've always taken multiple people to state and I've gone to nationals each of the last 10 years. I hope to go again. Nationals and state are great tournaments.
So, 4) My message is this -- It's time to step up! If we want to do well at things like district, state, nationals, (and I know you do) now's the time. If you do a "popular" event and don't think
that you'll be one of our top 2 (or 3), it's time to diversify. Try those less popular events (for us) -- like interp, etc. That will maybe confirm your spot at these upcoming
It's been a good year. It's now time to bring it. So, let's bring it! Finals are almost over, 2nd semester starts Tuesday, and yay, we have practice on Monday. So come prepared.
Linfield sign ups are now up -- on Johnson's filing cabinet. Sign up!!! Mt. Hood will probably be up also next week. Plan ahead...and let's roll!
Let me know if you have any questions/comments. You know where to find me (us) -- you can send me messages on the forum or school e-mail.