zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to The Right People. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (10) « First ... 8 9 [10]  ( Go to first unread post )

What are you reading?
Mr. X
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 11:22 PM

The Elderglass Is Half Full

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (mrselnombre @ Feb 14 2008, 03:36 AM)
QUOTE (Gryphon Strike @ Jan 25 2008, 05:27 AM)
I am currently reading Joe abercromie's The Blade Itself and its a good read, I am wondering if anyone has read the sequel and what they think?

I've just started this, though i have the second too as hubby just bought it for me.

enjoying it so far.

I just read Before They Are Hanged, Abercrombie's second book and it totally kicked ass. In fact, I found it a great improvement on The Blade Itself.

--------------------
"I am entirely fictional."
Deornoth
Posted: Mar 17 2008, 11:27 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I've just finished reading 'Killswitch', the last instalment in Joel Shepherd's 'Cassandra Kresnov' trilogy. It's a definite improvement on the second book and is just the kind of sci-fi that I'm after. There's a couple of loose ends, that don't get tied up, but on the whole this is a great end to a great series. My full review is over Here. I'm up for reading some fantasy next and it's a toss up between 'Blood Heir', 'Tales Before Narnia' and 'The Name of the Wind'. Not sure what to read next...

--------------------
Graeme's Fantasy Book Review It's the place where... errr... stuff gets reviewed!
mrselnombre
Posted: Mar 17 2008, 02:36 PM

Member No.: 403

QUOTE (Mr. X @ Mar 7 2008, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (mrselnombre @ Feb 14 2008, 03:36 AM)
QUOTE (Gryphon Strike @ Jan 25 2008, 05:27 AM)
I am currently reading Joe abercromie's The Blade Itself and its a good read, I am wondering if anyone has read the sequel and what they think?

I've just started this, though i have the second too as hubby just bought it for me.

enjoying it so far.

I just read Before They Are Hanged, Abercrombie's second book and it totally kicked ass. In fact, I found it a great improvement on The Blade Itself.

I've just started the second one and i can already see it is better than the first. The first one took me a while to get into and get familiar with all the characters.
ToddM326
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 12:40 PM

Member No.: 268

I just finished Scott Lynch's "Red Seas Under Red Skies". I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. I thought he was rushing to tie up too many plot lines by the end. I also liked the inclusion of the character's back story in "Lies of Locke Lamora", and that aspect was mostly missing from this book. Still looking forward to the novellas and "Republic of Thieves".

Next up is either "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin, or "Th1rte3n" by Richard Morgan.

Or I might start watching the first season of BSG that I picked up on Amazon Unbox....

--------------------
"As I get older I realize, more and more, that life is way too precious to waste on dignity."
-Jim Butcher
Deornoth
Posted: Mar 23 2008, 11:52 AM

Advanced Member

I finally got round to reading 'The Name of the Wind' (Patrick Rothfuss) and wish that I'd picked it up sooner... I was completely gripped by the story of the early years of Kvothe's life and couldn't believe it when it was over, when is the next book coming out. I did have some issues with the manner in which the tale is told, and the level of background knowledge that is assumed on behalf of the reader, but on the whole I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next. My full review is over Here.
I've now got Jim Butcher's 'Small Favour' on the go but it may also be time to start reading Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir' as well...

--------------------
Graeme's Fantasy Book Review It's the place where... errr... stuff gets reviewed!
ToddM326
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Deornoth @ Mar 23 2008, 11:52 AM)
I finally got round to reading 'The Name of the Wind' (Patrick Rothfuss) and wish that I'd picked it up sooner... I was completely gripped by the story of the early years of Kvothe's life and couldn't believe it when it was over, when is the next book coming out. I did have some issues with the manner in which the tale is told, and the level of background knowledge that is assumed on behalf of the reader, but on the whole I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next. My full review is over Here.
I've now got Jim Butcher's 'Small Favour' on the go but it may also be time to start reading Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir' as well...

Unfortunately, the next book, "The Wise Man's Fear", has been delayed until April 2009.

He explains it on his blog:

Patrick Rothfuss Blog

--------------------
"As I get older I realize, more and more, that life is way too precious to waste on dignity."
-Jim Butcher
Gio
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 08:12 AM

Member No.: 159

I'm reading Eragon right now. I think I'm a bit too old for it? I dunno if it's intended for children. But it's a very dull and predictable read so far. And some characters also feel very unnatural, like they're only doing or not doing stuff to serve the story. Plus my version has a picture of the movie on the front. Like what the hell, that guy's wearing plastic or something? And the dude next to him is hugging his huge sword.. Isn't that supposed to have sharp edges? Oh that's also made out of plastic, really?
Gryphon Strike
Posted: May 16 2008, 07:26 AM

Member No.: 447

I am now reading the third in Abercrombies series and while in some areas I was disapointed overall I am very happy with it.

I don't want to give any spoilers so I will say the end of the book makes a few things much clearer.
mrselnombre
Posted: May 18 2008, 02:11 AM

Member No.: 403

I'll have to get that.

currently re-reading Manda Scotts Boudica series.
ToddM326
Posted: May 21 2008, 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Gio @ Apr 3 2008, 08:12 AM)
I'm reading Eragon right now. I think I'm a bit too old for it? I dunno if it's intended for children. But it's a very dull and predictable read so far.

Eragon does not get any better.

I remember struggling my way through reading it, hoping it would be more, and only thinking "Wow! How did he not get in trouble for so closely copying Star Wars and Lord of the Rings?"

If you are looking for a good book with dragons, I recommend Naomi Novik's "His Majesty's Dragon".

--------------------
-Jim Butcher
Deornoth
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 12:19 PM

Advanced Member

Just finished reading Gord Rollo's 'Jigsaw Man', a tale of a man who accepts a two million dollar deal for his right arm only to find there's more to the deal than he thought. It's not just the fact that he is losing more limbs than he bargained for, it's what they're being replaced with...
A lack of room in the novel means the two main villains almost become pantomime in their cruel excesses that don't seem to have any foundation but, this aside, 'Jigsaw Man' is a genuinely scary read that kept my attention the whole way through. I'll be looking out for more books by Gord Rollo and my full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Patricia Briggs' 'Blood Bound'...

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Other Authors | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (10) « First ... 8 9 [10] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0255 seconds · Archive