Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Right People. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A Game of Thrones, The Board Game, not the book
WiseFool
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 10:56 AM

Gentleman Bastard trainee

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

Since there's a lot of GRRM readers there...
anyone ever tried it?
I'm a huge fan (both of the book AND the game)
it's a strategy/diplomacy board game and it's real fun
and addictive i must say

you don't need to know the books to play (hell, one of my friends didn't even know it was adapted from a book) but it's even more enjoyable when u've read them
the game has really been well thought out and all the people that played it want to play it again so far

--------------------
Achieved the Gentleman part. Currenlty struggling with the Bastard one. Or is it the contrary?
OsRavan
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 12:39 PM

Legend

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

never played it. isnt there a card game too though? or are the cards just with the board game?
WiseFool
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 12:58 PM

yep
there is a card game
completely independant from the board game
never played it either
nor do i know anyone who did
heard some vague echoes that it 's actually great though

--------------------
Achieved the Gentleman part. Currenlty struggling with the Bastard one. Or is it the contrary?
Scott_Lynch
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 09:46 PM

Member No.: 31

I have this board game, and very sadly it's still waiting to be played... damn, I should really get on that one of these days. Jen is a capable strategy gamer (though she sometimes dislikes playing them with me, because I've been doing it forever)... now we just need a few more people. Our pets love to play with board games, just not in the socially acceptable fashion we might prefer.

Lord of the Rings Risk, for example, was substantially enlivened by the sudden appearance of an energetic puppy in the middle of the board. Not only did this deviate massively from Tolkien's coanon, it took us fifteen minutes to put all the pieces back where they'd been.

Cheers,

SL
Mr. X
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 10:13 PM

The Elderglass Is Half Full

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Scott_Lynch @ Sep 2 2006, 09:46 PM)
Lord of the Rings Risk, for example, was substantially enlivened by the sudden appearance of an energetic puppy in the middle of the board. Not only did this deviate massively from Tolkien's coanon, it took us fifteen minutes to put all the pieces back where they'd been.

What, there were no energetic puppies of Mordor? I must have been reading a different version of the book.

--------------------
"I am entirely fictional."
WiseFool
Posted: Sep 4 2006, 08:09 AM

Jen is a capable strategy gamer (though she sometimes dislikes playing them with me, because I've been doing it forever)...

lol
i must say it's always very, very entertaining every time I play with a couple. As it's a game that forces you to betray your partner if you want to win, it's very funny to see those guys playing together at first and then end up bickering and fighting near the end biggrin.gif

I played with 3 different couples
For the first, all things went well, they sticked together through the end (and they lost lol)
For the second, they both wanted to win and backstabbed each other to the angry surprise of each other, it was wayyyy funny (and they left still pretty cross and I took the blame afterwards tongue.gif)
The last one was indifferent to the fact they were a couple. They actually ceased to be one for the duration of the game, you would never have guessed. Also the girl didn't give a damn whether she won or lost so maybe that's that

I'm curious, what kind of couple are u 2 when u play a game? smile.gif

now we just need a few more people

I'm in !
hmmm, uh, I'll pass finally
you 're a bit far now that i think about it
but please give me a sign if you come in france, i'll set up a game biggrin.gif

--------------------
kiko
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 05:10 PM

Member No.: 92

I like the card game, though it has almost too many ways to win. It is almost impossible to minimax.
I hear the boardgame is only fun when you play it with 5 persons. I wasn't too impressed when we played it with 3 factions. There is too much free territory in the south
RaceBannon42
Posted: Jan 8 2007, 11:42 AM

The Capa

Member No.: 5

I have the board game too, still in its original shrink wrap. sad.gif
I need to find some folks to play it.

--------------------
Richer and Cleverer than everyone else!

Visit my blog for book reviews.
WiseFool
Posted: Jan 9 2007, 06:13 AM

@kiko : yep, 3 is no fun
4 is the minimum
5 is the best
never tried with 6

and you have to buy the extension Clash of Kings, the game is much better with it

@RaceBannon42 : anytime tongue.gif

--------------------
Sairin_Lote
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 06:08 AM

Member No.: 330

hello i own AGOT board game and have player it for a few times.

All i can say is that if u can't find 4 other ppl to play along with you, don't buy it.
The 4-players game is very imbalanced in my opinion and 3-players game is out of the question.

In other terms the game is fascinating, it draws your attention and holds you there entranced! Some girl friends of mine tried it who have nothing to do with board games and/or fantasy and the game easily reached 4-5hours of play. They loved it.

The only difficult thing is to explain the rules:P
Somac
Posted: Feb 12 2008, 06:11 PM

Member No.: 506

A friend and I sat around it and tried to figure out how to play, and we were confused.

Now it's sitting on my shelf at home. sad.gif
« Next Oldest | Games, Film and TV | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0414 seconds · Archive