The Old Republic - Newbie Guide
Written by: Vynn Raith
1. The first thing you should do when you join any site, and we encourage it here, is to read all of the official documentation. The following are links to those things:Code Of ConductRulesConsequencesFAQ
2. You must be wondering, what do I do now? If you are not already registered, it is as simple as registering. Once you are registered, or for those who already are, you must create your character’s biography.
To do so, go to here
. There you will find the Bio Template, one of the pinned topics. Copy and paste that into Word, Notepad, or any other writing program, and then fill our the form. If you have trouble, Tan'rik Skarii (aka Church), a Super Moderator, was kind enough to make a Sample Bio, which is located here
Now, post your own bio as a new topic. It may take some time for your bio to be accepted, and as stated in the rules, you cannot post without your bio being accepted. So, for now, sit tight, and wait.
3. So, your bio has been accepted, and once again your not sure what to do. There are multiple things, and here are a few:
a. Each person on the site is allowed to create a few NPCs, and they also get to choose who can control them. NPCs are accepted just like regular characters, but it is usually quick, as the bios are shorter. Here is the link to the template
b. If your character doesn’t need any NPCs, or you don’t want any, you can go ahead and buy some things. As some of you may have noticed, we have a Credits system. Since it was explained in the rules, I won’t go to deep into it, but we use them for IC purposes, like paying another character off, bounties, and buying items.
There are certain stores that only one group can buy from. The Sith Mall
- Sith Shopping Complex
, the Jedi Emporium
, the Dominion Bazaar
- Dominion Supplies
, the Mandalorian Weapon and Armor Shop
, and the Republic Shop
. Then there is the Galaxy Store
, which anyone can use. There are a few other shops, but I will leave those up to you to find.
You only start out with 1,000 Credits, but each week you earn more. If you read the rules like you should have, you’ll also know other ways of getting credits. I will tell you of only one more. Loans. You can get a loan from The Hutt here
, or from the bank, here
. At the Coronet Bank, which is the last link I just gave, you can also deposit credits incase you die, for safe-keeping.
c. The last option I will give here, is that you can start RPing. There are a few places that are not safe for certain characters, but I’ll also leave that to you to find out.
4. Now that you know what to do when you start out, here are some basic things you should keep in mind:
a. There is a 75 Word Post rule, which means every posts, save a few exceptions, must be 75 Words long, or more, if they are In Character. We are lenient, but eventually you will be warned.
b. Around here, we all post in the Third Person, which means you refer to yourself by your name.
Example: The Rock, a famed wrestler, says “Do you smell...What The Rock...Is cookin’?”, in which he refers to himself as ‘The Rock’, instead of saying: “Do you smell....What I....Am cookin’?”. You should be able to tell the difference.
This is the end of Part One. Be on the look out for the next edits.Part Two
As you may have noticed, this site is very large. In fact, it is larger than most sites these days. And no, I don’t mean members, nor post counts, though I do like to think of us as being a major contender in those areas as well. What I mean, is that we have many categories, and forums. Though some of them have been dealt with, hidden so that the site seems smaller, there are still many that remain.
However, there are two easy steps for navigating a site this size:
1. If you want to see if there are any new posts, there are a number of things to do, other than look at every forum marker. Many know of these ‘techniques’, but some members who are new to InvisionFree, or RPG Forums as a whole, do not know of them.
-The first is this: Located at the bottom of the home page, right above the Board Statistics, there are four options.