InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Tabletop Round-up Mod. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Imperial Guard Command Squad, Work in Progress
Zany Reaper
Posted: 2 Mar 2007, 11:47 AM

Warlock

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ok, that Codex Cadian officer model looks appealing, I might just use him...

My idea is that he starts with a chainsword, & then with HQ upgrades, he gets a power sword, & then the infamous power fist! He'll come inhandy if by some unfortunate reason, the squad gets into close-combat.

However, what is the guy's main role in the command squad? Is it purely to increase leadership?

I'll separate the general too. However, to buff him slightly, I'll make him immune to instant death (adamantium mantle?) as an armour change for the guardsmen HP upgrade. This won't however be available for the other IG commanders however.

Sunray - on an unrelated note, can you get sanctioned psyker squads? What are scholar/preacher squads too, & what do they consist of (Wackymodder isn't sure on this)?

--------------------
Image hosting by Photobucket
WackyModder
Posted: 3 Mar 2007, 03:28 AM

Co-leader of this mod

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 2

is not that im not sure on it, its just that i havent got enough info on them with my codex knowledge. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
sunray
Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 11:04 AM

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I believe the officers role in the command squad is to boost the morale of all surrounding units by adding a leadership bonus, and from his access to the Imperial Guard Armoury, to add extra CC ability to his command squad and units in close proximity to him.

The Codex says that Commissars, Priests, and Sanctioned Psykers, are advisors.

This seems to be where many gamers tend to differ from the Codex. The Codex says that, for each different type of advisor you have, one must be attached to the Command HQ squad (your highest command squad). This seems to be what Relic has done with their command squad. Yet, even the Codex contradicts this, and says that a command squad consists of an officer and four guardsmen, and mentions nothing of an advisor.

You are only left to assume that when they say attached, that is exactly what they mean. In TT you naturally would attach them before the battle. In the computer game, you can only attach after the squad is built, and even then you can only attach one entity to a squad (Psyker, or Commissar, or Priest. Not one of each). Codex says that you are allowed to have up to five of each in your army. But they must be attached to command squads or infantry squads, and not used alone.

Most photos of TT battles that I have seen don't show any advisors anywhere near the command squads that are in the photos.

So who is right, and who is wrong? My thoughts are that you should use them as an attachable advisor, that can be trained, and attached to any squad. With a limit that you can train of 5 of each type.

What do you think?

regards

sunray

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Zany Reaper
Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 04:28 PM

Warlock

I think you're right.

Wackymodder's Priest squad idea will have to be scrapped! I'll push the limit to 5 instead of 3 for each advisor however.

BTW - what is the Imperial general?
I don't know of any rules for him. If there aren't any, then I'll assume the current captain as a dupe of Ursarker E. Creed, but for close-combat & a storm bolter, rather than linked hell-pistols.

--------------------
WackyModder
Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 07:31 PM

Co-leader of this mod

last time i checked, he was just a single unit for himself. like a company leader or something.

--------------------
user posted image
sunray
Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 08:19 PM

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Codex is somewhat confusing at times. Example: Codex shows the command squad table with the officer as the leader. It then goes on to state that the officer (no matter what rank) is an independant character. So you might then say "well, that goes against everything we have discussed". But the Codex goes on to immediately say, that the officer must always stay withing 2 inches of his command squad. Which, in DOW terms especially, means that he is certainly part of the command squad.

So I believe we are definitely heading down the right path. The Codex does not mention a general. It simply mentions heroic senior officers, senior officers, and junior officers. I believe that generals are special characters, such as Yarrick, and are in addition to everything else. TT models show regimental commanders (always talked about as colonels), company commanders, and platoon commanders (always talked about as lieutenants).

My opinion is this:

Generals should be like an overall army commander. Either a single character, or with a couple of elite Kasrkin as bodyguards.

Colonels should be the regimental commanders (more IG in looks, and wearing battle uniform), with a proper command squad of guardsmen.

Captains should be company commanders. Again with a proper command squad of guardsmen.

Lieutenants should be platoon commanders. Again with a proper command squad.

General (if he is to be more than a single character) should get a master vox, and a couple of Kasrkin bodyguards.

Regimental command squad should get a colonel, master vox, a medic, and and an intergrated junior officer, plus SW guardsmen.

Company command squads should get an officer, a vox caster, medic, veteran sergeant, and SW guardsman.

Platoon command squads should get a junior officer (lieutenant), vox caster, and SW guardsmen (with the possibility of attaching a medic).

Just my opinion. Again Zany Reaper, it is your mod. You will decide.

regards

sunray

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Zany Reaper
Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 08:35 PM

Warlock

...Right...

I think that I'll just class the general as a character that can run around & join random squads. His only purpose will be to initiate strafing runs & bomb enemy forces for the hell of it.

As for the Heroic Senior Officer, he'll be the starting member of the Command squad.

--------------------
WackyModder
Posted: 6 Mar 2007, 02:18 AM

Co-leader of this mod

hooray!!!!!! laugh.gif thats what im talking about, zany! so is the command squad now 100% done? or is there more that needs to be done with them?

--------------------
user posted image
Zany Reaper
Posted: 6 Mar 2007, 07:47 PM

Warlock

I haven't made these changes yet, I still have more school stuff to do 1st, then I've got scaling to do.

Finally, to rest for the last hour, I'll be playing Dark Crusade online again!

--------------------
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Showcase | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1068 seconds | Archive