zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Naruto Jiyuu. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Battle System?
Uchiha Mikyas
Posted: Jan 26 2008, 04:47 AM

Unregistered

QUOTE (Ds14 @ Jan 26 2008, 04:17 AM)
The thing is that once stats are introduced, the objective starts to switch slightly from rping to gaining the stats.

That isn't always for the worse. Playing for the stats and RPing are the same, because depending on the situation, you would probably RP the same.

Here are some random stats I was thinking of.

Chakra (Basically experience)

Simple Attack (Consecutive Hits = 1)

Stamina (Post count that you can last at most before giving up)

HP (Specific amount of health that decreases as the opponent hits you)

For Jutsu Tech Charts: Attack Power, Defense Power, Evade Power

Dexterity (Basically a battle stat where if you RP with a bunshin or a bunshin henge, the opponents ability to dodge will be gone unless his dexterity is higher than yours.)

Dodge (Escaping an attack, only a certain amount of dodges per battle for all characters regardless of rank)

Guard (Takes half the damage of any physical attack, but the character can not retaliate in that post)
Ds14
Posted: Jan 26 2008, 06:09 PM

Whoa. 1,000 posts. I'd like to thank the great King Turtle.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 45

But that's the thing, it doesn't work like that with Naruto. It's strategy. The Sound 5 battles are the best examples of this.

1. Jirobou vs. Chouji

Chouji was MUCH weaker and Jirobou could have very easily killed him in one hit if we went by attack power and stats alone. But because they were both tank characters and Chouji had that little butterfly move, he won the fight. In an rpg, a genin would not have that powerful of a technique, so a fight like this wouldn't even be possible.

2. Sakon/Ukon vs. Kiba

If you went by stats, there wouldn't even be a chance. The whole dog peeing in the eyes thing wouldn't fly in an rpg like this.

3. Most importantly, Neji vs. Kidoumaru.

Why is this most important in my opinion? Completely unorthodox fighting methods. Hiding in trees, shooting jyuuken through a string, doubling the Hakke, repeated use of Kaiten, a lot of things that are kind of made up on the fly.

I'm not gonna try to argue the rest of them but...

1. Chakra - IMO, this is the only important stat. It relies on the maturity of and trust in the members to rp correctly based on the strength difference. If a problem comes up and it's unintentional, a mod can be called or an OOC Message can be put at the top of the next post reminding the person of the chakra difference and to rp accordingly.

2. Consecutive Hits - I think someone like Haku, Lee, or Neji could get A LOT of consecutive hits on characters much stronger than themselves. This stat seems like it should just be rped.

3. Stamina - This can be a problem. I think it's the main problem with this rp's free form battle system. The only solution I can think of that can keep it as free form as it is now is a sort of Guidebook for intermediate members/beginners that describes Character Creation/Tech Chart Creation/RPing Well.

4. HP - Yikes, that would be bad. It eliminates the ever present idea of will power and eliminates story driven victories. For instance, one character's friend has just been beaten up by an NPC. Naturally, you'd expect a boost to pretty much all stats but chakra when they fight them. That's another reason I think chakra is the only important stat. It doesn't ever really change (transformations should change that, but there aren't really enough transformations in Naruto to worry about that.)

Meh, just a few more comments.

Dodge - I'll use Lee as an example. He could probably dodge almost any attack by a taijutsu user, but would likely be hurt by even an inexperienced Ninjutsu user's techniques.

Guard - Should be rp'ed.

Please, let me know about where you disagree w/ me or whatever. :-p this is an interesting debate.
Uchiha Mikyas
Posted: Jan 26 2008, 10:11 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (Ds14 @ Jan 26 2008, 06:09 PM)
But that's the thing, it doesn't work like that with Naruto. It's strategy. The Sound 5 battles are the best examples of this.

1. Jirobou vs. Chouji

Chouji was MUCH weaker and Jirobou could have very easily killed him in one hit if we went by attack power and stats alone. But because they were both tank characters and Chouji had that little butterfly move, he won the fight. In an rpg, a genin would not have that powerful of a technique, so a fight like this wouldn't even be possible.

2. Sakon/Ukon vs. Kiba

If you went by stats, there wouldn't even be a chance. The whole dog peeing in the eyes thing wouldn't fly in an rpg like this.

3. Most importantly, Neji vs. Kidoumaru.

Why is this most important in my opinion? Completely unorthodox fighting methods. Hiding in trees, shooting jyuuken through a string, doubling the Hakke, repeated use of Kaiten, a lot of things that are kind of made up on the fly.

I'm not gonna try to argue the rest of them but...

1. Chakra - IMO, this is the only important stat. It relies on the maturity of and trust in the members to rp correctly based on the strength difference. If a problem comes up and it's unintentional, a mod can be called or an OOC Message can be put at the top of the next post reminding the person of the chakra difference and to rp accordingly.

2. Consecutive Hits - I think someone like Haku, Lee, or Neji could get A LOT of consecutive hits on characters much stronger than themselves. This stat seems like it should just be rped.

3. Stamina - This can be a problem. I think it's the main problem with this rp's free form battle system. The only solution I can think of that can keep it as free form as it is now is a sort of Guidebook for intermediate members/beginners that describes Character Creation/Tech Chart Creation/RPing Well.

4. HP - Yikes, that would be bad. It eliminates the ever present idea of will power and eliminates story driven victories. For instance, one character's friend has just been beaten up by an NPC. Naturally, you'd  expect a boost to pretty much all stats but chakra when they fight them. That's another reason I think chakra is the only important stat. It doesn't ever really change (transformations should change that, but there aren't really enough transformations in Naruto to worry about that.)

Meh, just a few more comments.

Dodge - I'll use Lee as an example. He could probably dodge almost any attack by a taijutsu user, but would likely be hurt by even an inexperienced Ninjutsu user's techniques.

Guard - Should be rp'ed.

Please, let me know about where you disagree w/ me or whatever. :-p this is an interesting debate.

The dog peeing in the eyes thing could act as a stat, keeping the enemy from landing attacks for a certain post count.

You can still make things up, but at the same time have a stat count for the specific actions you make.

Eg. If you are hiding in a tree, that may count as a dodge post, while at the same time allowing you to prepare an attack that requires you to charge up before your next post, or possibly plan something elaborate with ninja wire.

If a character wants to have some kind of elaborate scheme to trap the opponent, they can always confront a mod or admin to check if it's okay to manipulate the battle system for it.

It might be fun to sort of go nuts and not precisely calculate the toll that the battle is doing on your character's body, but it keeps from having a fair and honest battle.

Also,

Chakra can be a factor determining the other stats with some kind of formulaic concept, as well as a benchmark level for jutsu like it currently is.

((eg. Chakra/3 + (Certain number based off rank))

Consecutive Hits are both RP'd and done formulaicly... I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you can RP consecutive hits, while at the same time indicate the damage done mathematically afterwards. You can still RP your character doing attacks.

Stamina is simply a limit to the amount of times you can post in a battle. It should not be a problem. If the character runs out of stamina, he is finished indefinitely. His next post will be him fainting.

There just has to be something like HP here... none of the battles end up working out where there isn't an exact way to calculate how much damage is done, as well as whose stamina should go out first. It is significantly less efficient to determine who wins a battle with the current system we use. Sure will power and story driven victories are not as important as skill levels. If you want to give your character more determination, have him train more often than the average shinobi.

Unless they have a specific jutsu that allows this, someone's dodge count should not be as high as Lee's was.

Of course guards are rp'ed... They are rp'ed, while at the same time should take a specific amount of toll on the opponent's body, preferably half, while at the same time, keeping them from god modding and performing a jutsu on top of their guard, since otherwise it would just be:

Guard, Jutsu, Opponent Guard, Opponent Jutsu, Guard, Attack, etc.

The battle would just last too long if people could guard as much as they wanted.

I have no idea why you think the RPing will go away if you add in a battle system.

It's the same exact thing, only there are certain limits you have to put on each poster. However, it's those very limits that will allow battles to be more fair and end more reasonably.
Ds14
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 03:24 AM

Meh, the thing that's kept my interest in this RP for so long is actually the battle system. Nothing to keep track of other than story and no real bounds on what you can do other than common sense and the opinions of other members.
Uchiha Mikyas
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 03:50 PM

Unregistered

Well we could always stick to the original system. However, there is absolutely no way we can have decent battles...

I mean, how do you determine who wins? How do you limit the overall post count without forcing someone to give up if they run out of posts?

It's very awkward to end a battle with someone letting their opponent win.
Ds14
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:56 PM

I always thought of it as like, if you rp them into a corner so that they can't win unless they godmod, then you win. But yeah, I see your point.
Uchiha Mikyas
Posted: Jan 29 2008, 12:16 AM

Unregistered

How about for big, official battles such as Chuunin exams, we just have a few people from the moderating team decide what attacks should be landed.

Like for example, a genin would post his attack, a few mods or admins will decide whether or not the opponent should be able to dodge or guard, then they PM or contact the opponent to give them the permission to defend and retaliate.
Ds14
Posted: Jan 29 2008, 12:18 AM

That sounds good. And we have a good Mod to Member ratio, so that should work.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0291 seconds · Archive