Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Maryland Law School. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Welcome to the Board
kmatt
Posted: Mar 28 2006, 10:57 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hey everyone! I've set up this message board as a way for all of us to communicate with each other and hopefully start to get to know each other better. My name is Kevin Mattingly. I will be attending the University of Maryland School of Law in the Fall of 2006. I went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for undergrad and I'm heading straight to law school after graduation. I invite everyone to post a little something about themselves as the join the message board and of course I welcome everyone to post anything they would like to on these forums. As I said, the board is intended to facilitate communication between Maryland Law's future 1L's as well as those people who are simply considering Maryland Law as an option. Thanks and have fun browsing and posting on the forums!
kmatt
Posted: Mar 29 2006, 11:33 AM

Administrator

Hey! That's great you're considering Maryland Law. I actually almost went to UMD undergrad but I decided to get out of the state for just a couple of years for college. I'm from Bowie, if you happen to be in-state too. If you wouldn't mind, could you register yourself on the forum so we can start to get members? On the message board's home page there should be a link for "Register". That way we can keep track of who's posting what and start to get to know people better. Thanks and good luck with the financial aid! I'm just getting my forms in now so they can figure our a package for me. Keep us all posted on your considerations!

~Kevin
kmatt
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 03:06 PM

Administrator

Hey!

Thanks for posting, first off. I'll try to give you all the info about my visit so you don't necessarily have to make the trip up. Well, most importantly, the law school is in Baltimore, which is nowhere near College Park (where the main campus is). So don't let your impressions of the main campus really influence your decision. The law school is in the heart of Baltimore, right down town. I've lived just outside B'more my whole life so I feel like I can pretty much give you a fair portrayal of it. The law school is in a "campus" with the Med School and some other professional schools. It's about 8 blocks from the Inner Harbor (boats, shops, restaurants, bars, the really nice part of downtown). The school itself is located is sort of an OK neighborhood. I say that because people who aren't from cities think its like the total ghetto, but its not. I mean, it's in a city. There's a lot of apartment buildings and urban areas around it. From what I hear, it's certainly safe around there during the day and early evening, I just wouldn't go out walking around at like midnight.

As for the law school, I really liked it. I've visited a few including UNC's (where I go to undergrad) and I was totally impressed. The building is brand new (like 3 years old) and everything is wired up and in great condition. There's internet and power connections at every seat and in the library. Inside, the building is really very nice. There's a large courtyard that backs up to a small, old church (where Edgar Allan Poe is buried) so thats cool. Right next to the courtyard there's a small sandwich shop where a lot of people were hanging out. The library is all above ground, so there's plenty of natural light, in addition to carrels and study rooms galore. I found the people generally very nice, particularly the two students who showed us around. The 1L took us to a Constitutional Law class which was about 75 people (you're put into a 25 person section at the beginning, and each class firts year consists of 2 or 3 sections put together). The professor was amazingly enthusiastic, clear, and seemed to really care about her students (not a very high pressure or antagonistic situation, and the students seemed to really know and like one another, so not too competitive for grades). The 1L told us that certainly not all her professors were quite as pleasant as this one, but that overall she really enjoys both her fellow students and her teachers. So then a 3L took us on a full tour. Of course they're going to be biased, but overall they really liked the school. I think their main complaint was about the Career Services Office. They basically told us that for summer jobs and for after graduation, you're going to need to do your own work to find employment. Career Services basically networks for people but isn't so good at just setting you up in a job.

So basically, I got a very good vibe from my visit. I guess I probably made it all sound really positive, since I've decided to go there (self-delusion maybe?). The law school is kind of small and intimate, so I saw many of the same people around the hallways over and over. The building is really nice (particularly since we're going to be spending 2/3 of every day there). As for negatives, like i said, the neighborhood is very urban, but not as scary as people make it out to be. Career Services can apparently be a pain. And, as I'm finding out now, living right around the law school can be relatively expensive, since it's a city. But overall I'm really excited for the fall. I'd encourage you to visit like I did, but if you can't make it or think it's too much of a hassle for a school you haven't gotten into yet, then I hope this has helped. If you've got any other questions, post them on there or email me at kmatt@email.unc.edu . I hope you get in and that you decide on going to UMD Law just like I have.

~Kevin

PS - Please register up at the top of the page. It makes the board look better and it enables everyone to see who's posting what.
FLRes
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 05:24 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Thanks Kmatt for replying to my post and good job creating this site.
kmatt
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 02:39 PM

Administrator

Now if only I could get other people to USE the site, we'd all be in good shape. I just think it would be cool if, when we enter the law school in the fall, we might actually KNOW some of the other people in our classes, rather than just meeting them in the orientation period. So if you read this and hear my cry for more members, then click on register at the top and actually post. I want to hear about other people's reaction to and thoughts about UMD Law!

~Kevin
FLRes
Posted: Apr 10 2006, 06:32 AM

Well it looks as if my time here on this board is over. I received a rejection letter from the terps over the weekend. sad.gif

Congrats to all of you who were accepted and plan on attending. PEACE!
kmatt
Posted: Apr 10 2006, 04:20 PM

Administrator

In response to "Concerned", I mean, it does make me at least think fully about Maryland. But what the person I was talking with specifically said was that if you want to get a job over the summer or beyond, you basically have to be proactive about it. In other words, Career Services isn't going to just present you with a job and say here you go. Maryland has a huge alumni network, particularly in state, so it seems its just a matter of going out and finding the job. I don't know how similar that is to other schools out there. I'm not worried about me having to actually put in the effort to find a job. That's fine. So I guess then it doesn't concern me all that much. Also, I'm not particularly interested in going into BigLaw, which it seems to me is where much of Maryland's career prospects criticism is targetted. I'd like to clerk for a judge and then go work in a DA's office. So for THAT sort of career path, being the top state school, Maryland probably has better career prospects than any of the DC schools or UB for placing in Maryland. Some people have said that a lot of the criticism of Maryland (only placing in Baltimore, bad career services) is overhyped. I don't know whether to believe that claim or not, but I think probably UMD gets a worse rep for that than it probably deserves, even though I'm sure it's not exactly the law school's greatest strength. Lemme know what you think and if you've got any specific info. From what I've researched, Maryland does place about 60-70% in Maryland, but then again, compare that to a school like Emory...they place around the same huge percentage in Georgia. I really do think that Maryland maybe just doesn't place that well for the major law firms in DC (but then again, look who recruits at UMD...it's just about every BigLaw firm in DC). So who knows? Any opinions from anyone out there?
kmatt
Posted: Apr 10 2006, 04:21 PM

Administrator

To FLRes, sorry to hear about the ding at Maryland. Where else have you gotten into and where else are you still waiting to hear from? Good luck with the rest of your schools and with your next 3 years wherever you wind up at!

Kevin
FLRes
Posted: Apr 11 2006, 06:24 AM

The ding hurts a little because I really wanted to attend UMD but it's ok I have some good options to fall back on. With Maryland out, I'm 99% sure I will be attending the University of Florida in the fall. UF is #1 in my home state so I've got no worries.
Ieesha
Posted: Apr 17 2006, 09:26 AM

Member No.: 5

Hello and I see this seems to be a mildly popular way for incoming law students to get to know each other. I am feeling pretty lazy so I will just copy the intro I wrote on another board and add more as it applies.

Hello All, I am Ieesha and I'm originally from Baltimore, MD but currently living in King of Prussia, PA. I have my BS in electrical engineering from Morgan State (in Baltimore) and my MS in electrical engineering from Michigan State. I work as a systems engineer and although I like my current job and company, I am not totally fulfilled. Going to law school is something I can't pass up and the closer I get the more I can't stop thinking about the opportunities that await.

A few weeks ago I would not have said this but I am about 99% sure that I will be attending Maryland in the fall. I was on the fence but I sent in my seat deposit and look forward to beginning. As far as career services, I don't know any of the rumors and tend to be out of the loop. It looks like there are good opportunities (at least in the IP field) and I think that as with most schools, you get what you put in.
lanek26
Posted: Apr 25 2006, 03:31 PM

Member No.: 6

My name is Lane and I have recently chosen to attend UMD. I am a senior at Princeton, but I am originally from the Baltimore area. I am thrilled about becoming a law student at Maryland and I hope everyone has a wonderful first year!
kmatt
Posted: Apr 25 2006, 04:56 PM

Administrator

Hey Lane,

That's awesome to hear you picked Maryland Law. I think I saw on your LSN profile that you turned down Emory. I did the same thing and picked Maryland over them mostly for location and cost reasons. Did you visit Emory and why did you turn them down if you don't mind me asking (I'm just curious and it helps me justify my decision hehe) It got me quite a few evil messages on LSN, but whatever. I'm glad to see you're excited about Maryland Law in the fall. I definitely am too. Hopefully some more people will get on this board and start posting since now everyone is having to make their final decisions. What kind of law are you thinking about doing if you've got any inkling? Anyways, good luck finishing up this year and I'll see you at orientation in the fall!

Kevin
lanek26
Posted: Apr 26 2006, 06:21 PM

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (kmatt @ Apr 25 2006, 04:56 PM)
Hey Lane,

That's awesome to hear you picked Maryland Law. I think I saw on your LSN profile that you turned down Emory. I did the same thing and picked Maryland over them mostly for location and cost reasons. Did you visit Emory and why did you turn them down if you don't mind me asking (I'm just curious and it helps me justify my decision hehe) It got me quite a few evil messages on LSN, but whatever. I'm glad to see you're excited about Maryland Law in the fall. I definitely am too. Hopefully some more people will get on this board and start posting since now everyone is having to make their final decisions. What kind of law are you thinking about doing if you've got any inkling? Anyways, good luck finishing up this year and I'll see you at orientation in the fall!

Kevin

Kevin,

I did visit Emory. My trip there was great and Emory was one of my top choices, but Maryland was the best option for me. My family lives in Annapolis, I want to practice Environmental Law, and I loved Maryland more than any other school I visited. Their facilities blew me away and I liked the intimate feel of the school. I canít wait to start. Thanks for the warm wishes and good luck to you as well for the rest of the year.
kmatt
Posted: Apr 26 2006, 06:31 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (lanek26 @ Apr 26 2006, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (kmatt @ Apr 25 2006, 04:56 PM)
Hey Lane,

That's awesome to hear you picked Maryland Law. I think I saw on your LSN profile that you turned down Emory. I did the same thing and picked Maryland over them mostly for location and cost reasons.  Did you visit Emory and why did you turn them down if you don't mind me asking (I'm just curious and it helps me justify my decision hehe) It got me quite a few evil messages on LSN, but whatever. I'm glad to see you're excited about Maryland Law in the fall. I definitely am too. Hopefully some more people will get on this board and start posting since now everyone is having to make their final decisions. What kind of law are you thinking about doing if you've got any inkling? Anyways, good luck finishing up this year and I'll see you at orientation in the fall!

Kevin

Kevin,

I did visit Emory. My trip there was great and Emory was one of my top choices, but Maryland was the best option for me. My family lives in Annapolis, I want to practice Environmental Law, and I loved Maryland more than any other school I visited. Their facilities blew me away and I liked the intimate feel of the school. I canít wait to start. Thanks for the warm wishes and good luck to you as well for the rest of the year.

I was curious about Emory. It's the highest ranked school I got into but I really couldn't manage taking a weekend off to make the 8 hour drive down there for a visit. I heard it was really nice but mildly comptetitive. I basically turned it down by weighing Maryland's instate tuition v. Emory's 50,000 a year. And for you and environmental law, Maryland is probably a great choice since it's so highly ranked. I'm thinking about doing Criminal Law so I figured better go to the school in the state I want to practice in. I really liked my MD visit too. The new facilities are awesome and they just seemed to really be welcoming of all the visiting students I was with. The size definitely attracted me too (don't want to feel too anonymous). If I may ask, did you go to high school in Maryland? I'm always curious. I'm from Bowie (basically down the road from your family) and I went to Eleanor Roosevelt. Always nice to see people from my neck of the woods. I actually went to Indian Creek in Crownsville too, so I've got bunches of Annapolis friends. Anyways, glad we're both excited for starting in the fall (I'm particularly excited just be graduating from Chapel Hill and moving to a more happening area). My IM is kebbo16, so feel free to hit me up on that if you want to.

Kevin
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3147 seconds | Archive