Deep Dark Blue created by Kazuki of the IF Skin Zone
Banner

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Intercross. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (8) « First ... 6 7 [8]  ( Go to first unread post ) ReplyTopicPoll

Howl's moving castle
aoz0ra
Posted: Jan 3 2012, 04:40 PM

Group: Exorcists
Member No.: 6,662

The BOOK. Diana Wynne Jones! :DDD I wished there was more snarky DWJ humour and contrary logic left in the Hayao Miyazaki adaptation - both were lovely on their own, but I wanted to see Sophie and Howl at their worse, snapping at each other and threatening Califer who can't do much more than spark, glower and pout back. And then everybody loves each other anyway, because.

The animated movie was more Miyazaki anyway, I guess and adorable. Sophie was made more quietly strong, and I did like the parts where she defied the Witch in her own seemingly ignorant way. xD

And lol, wouldn't want to encourage the little children in Japan to copy the adults' behaviour in the book, I guess - all the eloping, snarky dynamics, complicated promises, disrespecting your elders, flirting, being jealous and denying it - wahaha. Was complicated enough a thread, that plot. :D

Read the book, guys!
benjibabe
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 12:39 AM

Noobie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,945

Read the book, loved it. Read it again, loved it even more! The movie and book start out similar and then diverge wildly. You pretty much have to take tham as seperate entities. The book is better though. The movie gets dragged down a bit too much with the "message" its sharing, and with its unnecessary twists. The book is straight out enjoyment, and not as convoluted. kurou05.gif
mellie-
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 06:45 AM

Noobie

Member No.: 4,490

Watched the movie and enjoyed it. Guess I need to read the book. Books tend to be better if they were written first, and after reading some comments most agree that this book is better.
Koinu-san
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 01:25 AM

Member No.: 6,812

I really adored the movie and I loved the book. The first time I read it, I read in one sitting cause I couldn't put it down. I always recommend to anyone I know if they liked the movie they really should read the book~! It's addicting.
juju84
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 07:02 PM

Member No.: 6,839

Watched anime! It was fabulous! But haven't read the book yet! Think will try it.
Is it good?
Rooffoo
Posted: May 6 2012, 09:36 AM

Member No.: 6,880

Oh the first time I borrowed this from the library, I had just finished watching the animation. A number of differences but I still loved the book. I actually had no idea that the animation was based on the book and was certainly surprised when I stumbled across it at the library.

I then had the sudden urge to reread the books only a few weeks ago xD I still love it, perhaps even more than the animation...by an millimetre.

And only last week I found out that the book actually had a sequel. I had no idea! It was my friend's birthday and she got the book. I was like, "Oh, what's this about?" When she told me it was actually the sequel to Howl's moving castle, I was so tempted to steal the book from her. kurou21.gif

Of course I didn't, but I have made it my mission to read it one day.
kraceemonkey
Posted: Aug 21 2012, 01:58 AM

Member No.: 3,908

I love the anime/movie version! The first time I watch this, I fell in love with it. But I never actually read the book though. I would love to...if I get my hand on it. LOl
xlilim
Posted: Sep 4 2012, 08:09 PM

Member No.: 6,332

I'm in the middle of writing it! The book so far is quite charming and I love both the movie and book! They're great in their own way! I can't wait to actually finish it.
Elegy
Posted: Nov 9 2012, 10:59 AM

Member No.: 7,217

I read the book after I watched the movie, but I'm not sure which one I enjoyed the most. They are both really fun and I liked what both had to offer. kurou01.gif
spiritlightning
Posted: Nov 13 2012, 06:54 PM

Member No.: 7,235

when i watched the movie i thought i would be similar to the book but is wasnt

i luv the movie but i think the book was much better
non8
Posted: Dec 10 2012, 08:08 PM

Noobie

Member No.: 7,274

I saw the movie first and I liked it. I only read the book years after the movie.
And I've read all 3 books. Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, House of Many Ways. (in the latter two Sophie and Howl return as only the side characters and we learn that their son was born and that his name is Morgan.)
The interesting difference about the movie and the first book is:
-in the movie is war but not in the book
-Howl actually came from "our word in our time" to a land with magic.

There are many more things that are more interesting in the book, but I won't spoil it more.

It's a really good series, I recommend it.
I think that the category it is, is: unorthodox fantasy.

kurou09.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (8) « First ... 6 7 [8]  ReplyTopicPoll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0844 seconds | Archive