(UMDRA) FORUM Dragsters Funnycars -> History Thread
Official: UMDRA.com Web site! Last UMDRA.com update 03-28-2014

Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to (UMDRA) FORUM Dragsters Funnycars. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

History Thread, Where is it?
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 06:00 PM

Murray Racing

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 33

Another treasure from across the pond in Australia........ This M/C powered 32 Altered Funny Car............

http://www.users.bigpond.com/wizart/altere.htm
To quote from their site...
"The Altered 32 funny car in the picture above was the first Junior funny car to race in Australia.
It was designed by Hans Kreuzen, Paul Freyer, John Harris and took 12 months to Build.
It was originally designed for Junior Drag Racing, but it can also run in the adult class in Modified Eliminator, using an motorbike engine.
The body is a One piece fiberglass shell with an escape hatch and opening boot.
The wheelbase is 90""

More pictures are on their website.........
Skip

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 06:13 PM

Murray Racing

OK, I know there's still another Aussie funny to find. Was it Chad's car? Maybe Thunder Road? I think it was pink at one time, and then black? I'll have to get back to that one.

For now, I'll move on to the Umbro, etc., cars here in the states........

OK, from DragRacingOnline...
http://dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2006...-viii_10-6.html

The Agent received a photo of a mini Vega Funny Car built in the mid-1970s. This one runs on a 750 cc Kawasaki engine. The NHRA’s George Phillips tells us that NHRA does not have any rules or offer any classes for Funny Cars for kids. These “mini-Funny Cars” are for adults to drive. IHRA does allow Jr. Funny cars, though. We find them way-cool. Anyone got a photo of one of these burning rubber? (Tom Gambardella photo) [10-12-2006]

Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 07:28 PM

Murray Racing

There was mention of the Umbro cars in Remember When? On the classic funny's of the 70's website...

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/Remember.html

"in the mid-70s Umbro Machine & Tool from NY tried to introduce mini Vega funny cars? The UMT sales brochure claimed "The nitro burning funny cars... were always the deepest dream of the drag racer. Due to the vast amounts of work, design, and the money involved, the majority of drag racers could do nothing else but dream. With all this in mind, the Engineers and craftsmen at UMT combined their skills and brought about the birth of this exciting mini FUNNY CAR. WHEELIES - BURNOUTS - and FIRE belching headers along with a sling shot takeoff from the starting line is getting a tremendous response from crowds of racing fans all over the country and is becoming the wildest new trend in drag racing history." Based on a Vega body, the sales brochure claimed a weight of 500 lbs on a 75 1/2" chassis. Body color was optional, as was choice of engines. Car could be bought complete or as blueprints. Car even came with a parachute! (From Umbro Sales Brochure, courtesy of the Greenberg Collection)
"

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:11 PM

Murray Racing

OK, here is a blue Umbro Mini Funny...

It is owned by a guy named John who has had the car for over 20 years. It has a Kawasaki 1015cc in it. It was in Super Chevy Magazine back in '92 (anybody have a copy?). A couple of more pictures will follow. I found them saved in my e-mail, and have to download them to my computer first.

Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:15 PM

Murray Racing

Second of 3 pictures of the blue mini funny.........

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:21 PM

Murray Racing

Last picture of the blue car......

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:42 PM

Murray Racing

This picture was from "Steve" I do not know if he was the owner, or just took the picture. I do not know where he's located or if he still has the car.

1 of 2 Bouncin Ounce mini funny.........

Skip

Attached Image
Handicappedracer
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:44 PM

Quickie Racing

Member No.: 48

The owner of the blue car lives here in Columbia, SC and workds for my wife's printing company. He's been on the site as a visitor. Hoping to get him to dust off the car for 2008.

Craig

--------------------
Craig Hairston
Motorsports Management Consultants
"You ain't seen bad yet,
but bad is coming!"
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 08:48 PM

Murray Racing

Handi,
Have you been keeping secrets????????? Or did I forget this very interesting tid-bit of info?????

Throw that boy in your truck and bring him and his wife on up with you! I think the Umbro cars had like a 70+" wheelbase, so heck, just throw the car in the back of the truck and bring it with you!!!!!!!!!!!

See what he knows about them, as I'm not sure I remember everything I've learned about these Umbro cars.

So cool, you live by a piece of history!

Here's the second picture of the bouncin ounce car....
Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 09:03 PM

Murray Racing

And by the way........

HOWDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the racers and fans of Full size nostalgia funnies, who are stopping by to take a peek at the mini's. We appreciate you stopping by, and you are welcome anytime you'd like to be here!

Skip
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 09:29 PM

Murray Racing

Then there was the Superbird JR mini funny. We all thought maybe it was a m/c powered Umbro. Well, I never did learn if it was an Umbro or not, but did find an owner or former owner (I'll have to find that yet), and they said that the Superbird JR car was VW powered. Interesting side note...... I was told the full size Superbird car was formerly owned by Arnie Beswick, a well known funny car driver. You can see in one of the pictures, the mini funny was run at Byron. Somewhere around here, I have a picture and short sentence in a magazine about the car running at Byron. I'll post it if I find it. (Boxes of old magazines around here!)

Skip

P.S. found the info on the big one belonging to Arnie...
http://www.classicfunnycarboard.com/cgi-bi...=1;t=2662;st=20

The Superbird Firebird was the original "Hemi Boss Bird" which Arnie Beswick owned . We had the car, Arnie verified it.
There were 3 bodies, 1 was the pontiac powered car, 1 was the Hemi boss bird, and the last one, is the red firebird, that Rob owns. The one Rob has, was suppose to go on Arnies challenger, back in the day.

--------------
Debby "ZOMBIE" Bruce

This post has been edited by imaracingmom on Aug 19 2007, 09:49 PM

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 09:30 PM

Murray Racing

Magazine info.........
Hot Rod magazine Nov. 1978 page 88
(Thank-goodness this car was discussed on the classic funny car boards! I'm finding what I forgot about the car!)

Here's the other superbird mini picture.....

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:27 PM

Murray Racing

Here's a picture of a California Mini Dragster, built in Dave Tuttle's shop. Last time the car was seen, it was for sale at Park Place LTD in Bellevue, WA. The for sale ad is here:

http://www.autobase.com/diamondlot/parkplace/

And the ad said:
2000 California Mini Dragster
Price : $6,995

This mini dragster is a great way to get into the drag racing sport. It is powered by a 1300cc in-line 4 out of a Suzuki Hayabusa. These are well-known for their reliability as well as their ability to take extreme levels of modification. This engine is currently tuned to roughly 190hp, but it’s not unheard of for people to get well over 500hp by the use of forced induction – either turbo or supercharging. This dragster is in very nice condition overall and is ready to go.

Series:
Body: Dragster
Color: Blue / White
Int. Color: Gray
Stock: 6241J
VIN: NHRAFA000629
Miles:
Engine: 1300cc Inline 4
Transmission: Manual

Equipment: Hayabusa Engine, Roll Cage, Racing Slicks, Custom Paint, Alloy Wheels.

Dave mentions the car here:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Dragsters_Funny...=550&st=0&#last

And here is the history he gave us on the car...
"Guys,
I just had a look at the Mini Dragster thats for sale and was surprised at how often this car pops up. Although it IS one that I built, I didn't build and in 2000. If the seller would take the time to read the ID tag, he'd find out It was built in 1990.

That one is actually the first Mini Dragster I built.......the prototype. We just refer to it as "The Little Car" cause its only 145" wheelbase. I never put any photo's of it on the net because of the elaborate body work I did on it and the many differences it had over the production model. Originally I didn't want anyone to know it had a motorcycle engine in it, thats why the rear body shell.

It looks the same as when I sold it in 1995 except they rubbed all the lettering off it. The engine appears to be the same 1326cc GS-1100 Suzuki. I did update the chassis before I sole it so I'm sure it will pass SFI /NHRA Certification.

Somewhere along the road, they lost the one off aluminum nose piece for it. The bad thing is, it's not something that could be replaced without having the car here to do it.

That car is also tiny inside! It was built around the 5'6"-135lb. kid that was working for me, so its only 17" wide in the shoulders. The windshield cowl tilts open to make it easier to get in and out. Believe it or not, dispite this, I managed to fit my 6'1"-220lb frame in it and win some rounds before I sold it.

There's also some engines the seller has collected that go with it and hike the price up I'm sure. He's had it for sale for over a year and I'd bet if soemone out there offered him $7500 or $8000 for everything, he'd take it. For that price, I'd say its a good deal.
~Dave Tuttle~ "
----------------------------
Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:29 PM

Murray Racing

Another shot of the Tuttle car...

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:43 PM

Murray Racing

Wonder if Buck knows we're talking about Busa's way down here at the bottom of the forums?

A final picture of the Tuttle car...

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 10:17 PM

Murray Racing

Far as I can tell, prototype cars for the Jr. Comp class came around in about 2000. Seems to me I remember hearing of a couple being tested in California. A Carney Kids car was for sale on racingjunk, and there were pictures of 2 versions. The black one pictured here, and a red one with a yellow roll cage. Here is what the ad on racingjunk said about the car...

180" Chrome Moley JR COMP
MINI DRAGSTER
*REAR ENGINE KAWASAKI 1000
(BUILT TO 1280CC)
*AIR SHIFT REV LIMITER
Built for Jr Comp Class in 2000.
Only ran test passes at LVMS
Chipped for 6.90 1/8 mile
Probably low 10's in Quarter mile without chip. Engine fresh by EVANS, certified NHRA to 7.50 ET.

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 11:40 PM

Murray Racing

OK, finally found the mini dragster stuff on Jerry and Darrell Gwynn. It is believed that it was the first "Jr. Dragster".

Darrell wrote about it in his book. You can also find a page of interesting history on Darrell on the NHRA website...
http://www.nhra.com/2003/news/september/091501.html

A quote from the website above...

"In 1968, when Darrell was just six, Jerry started toying with the idea of building his first-grader a "junior dragster." A scaled down front-motor machine, it was a project that took nearly a year to complete, as Jerry tinkered with it in his spare time. With no plans or drawings to work from, the entire car was built from scratch.

"I thought it would be cool if Darrell had his own little dragster," Jerry recalls. "I made the frame by braising half-inch electrical metallic tubing (EMT) together. It had a live-axle rear end, a slipper clutch that was activated when he pushed the pedal down. Even if he messed up, the car would stop if he took his foot off the pedal. We put in a hand brake and the front wheels were 20-inch bicycle tires."

Complete with a 2.5 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine, Jerry hand-finished the aluminum body and painted it at his Standard Oil shop. For looks, he added a double set of headers to both sides of the retired lawnmower powerplant, "making it look bigger than it really was."

A family friend added the finishing touch to the red machine. With a smiling Devil's face and the words "Red Devil," the first junior dragster was ready to race.

Jerry blocked off the street in front of the house, while Darrell and neighborhood buddy Mark Robinstraw took turns behind the wheel. But it was taking the pint-sized hot rod to Miami-Hollywood Speedway Park and making a few runs down a real drag strip that made it special.

The first quarter-mile pass took 43.11 seconds at a top speed of 23 mph. The second pass was a little better, finishing in 42.43 seconds at 25.02 mph.

"Here we are going down the track at 25 or 30 mph," Darrell says. "Talk about something cool that no other kid in the world got to experience at that time – no other kid had a car like that." The seed was planted.

"I remember living on a corner lot with cars slowly driving by at all hours to see what was going on," Darrell says. "Our house had all the action – lots of cars in the driveway. Every once in awhile, people might get to see a racecar fired up in the front yard. Everyone knew where the Gwynns lived." "

------------
Caption to go with the picture....

"Darrell's "Red Devil" Junior Dragster, complete with header pipes for "making it look bigger."
Darrell Gwynn collection"

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Sep 30 2007, 10:14 AM

Murray Racing

Just found another site that shows an UMBRO car...

http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SA...6/target46.html

Looks like it is page 9, of the program guide from Santa Pod Raceway, Aug '76.

Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 05:36 PM

Murray Racing

Got a wonderful surpirse in my e-mail last night. Some great pictures sent to me by David Murray (tadphotos), one of our wonderful members from Australia. I'll be posting the pictures he sent to me here in the history thread, so preserve them for your future enjoyment. David's e-mail said...

"I think two of the car are Bob Blackley and the other is my Corvette
funny that I have but with other owners. Not much is writen on the cars in the story not even times the cars were doing.

1986 to 1990 are the years from all the storys (club history books)

David Murray"

Thanks David!
Skip

Attached Image
imaracingmom
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 05:43 PM

Murray Racing

Picture #2 from David......

Attached Image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2138 seconds | Archive

All and any content posted on this forum or sent via e-mail can and will be posted on any of our family of web sites

If you need any help or would like your NHRA/IHRA Legal drag car to be showcase on UMDRA.com please NEW E-Mail me (McKinneyPF@live.com)