zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Chronicles Of Elydia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Thanatos, Story about the Angel of Death, Rated R
SPLChamps
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 04:03 AM

JayCee's Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

Time to get this story up and running again. It's going to take a while, I'll chip away at it for a couple of weeks again.

The restelac let out a roar so mighty that it was muted. Michael flew up into the clouds and soared down onto the mighty beast. Mike was left stunned by the sheer size of the creature. It dominated the skyline and seemed larger than anything he had seen before. Michael threw him a sword whilst still on top of the mammoth being.

"It won't do much good, but it couldn't hurt." Michael was laughing a sadistic laugh as he plunged the sword into the beast's back. It snapped its tail and struck Michael on the back of the head. The tail, seemingly another limb, wrapped around the sword and flung it towards the Angel. Mike saw this and flew quickly towards the sword, nearing its way to Michael's back. He caught it in the air and passed it to his general, who had been flying towards the stone ground below. Michael laughed again.

"I'm sure he's enjoying judging your performance, young one. Here," he threw Mike the sword, "it's yours if you want it. The restelac. Destroy it. Prove Gabriel right."

Mike had a determination in his face. He faced the restelac while Michael called towards him.

"Don't let it trick you, they've been known to do that. When it shrinks to the size of a man, that's when you're in trouble." He laughed again.

Mike was unsure once again at the problem which faced him. He produced both swords and lept into the air, swinging them in a vain attempt to intimidate the beast. It's eyes looked at him menacingly and it's bulbous tongue slapped him in the chest. He flew towards the dome of a cathedral, but gained his composure and flew higher.

"Now, he shrinks! It's about to get ugly! Time for you to pick on something a little more your size. Remember, as the size gets smaller, the brain size begins to fit and the reaction times increase. The restelac is a man's brain in a giant hippo's body, more or less. It's harder when it's smaller because it's smarter and can think quicker. Be on your guard." Michael flew away and left Mike to do his work.

The restelac had now shrunk to the size of a large man, over seven feet in height, and quickly formed the shape of a human. It let out a cry and shouted at Mike's direction in a language Mike had never heard yet found strangely familiar.

"So, you challenge my might. Well, challenge accepted, little one."

Mike's eyes opened up and he threw Michael's sword at the restelac's torso. Reacting as quickly as an angel, the gargantuan creature swiftly avoided the blade and caught it.

'Wonderful,' Mike thought, 'I've just armed a seven foot demon. Genius.' He moved into action and swung his blade in the air towards the beast. It countered with a quick deflection and proceeded to swing under Mike's sword. It stopped at his throat.

"That's one." It let out a bellowing laugh.

Mike was enraged and swung lower, this time almost connecting, before the restelac spun around him, grabbing his neck and throwing him into a nearby wall. It held Michael's sword to Mike's throat again and laughed once more.

"Two." It laughed again.

"Everything is so fucking funny to these old things. Time to see if he finds this funny." Mike lunged at the restelac with his sword but quickly flicked his wrist. The beast had been laughing as it avoided Mike, not realising how predictable the move was. The flick of Mike's wrist produced several staggered off-shoots from his sword, skewering the restelac. Mike quickly produced his gun, aimed square between the eyes of the restelac, and unloaded a powerful round. The creature was dropped to the ground, bleeding from the side. It let out a groan and picked itself up.

"Oh fuck no you don't." Mike had had enough. He flicked the sword again to produce a second sword and sliced both through the air. The beast's upper half twirled on the lower half and fell in a pool of its self. He clicked the swords back together, holstered the gun and watched as the creature dissolved into the ground. Gabriel shocked Mike with a touch to the shoulder, causing Mike to unleash another round in Gabriel's face.

"Shit, man, that sucks. I suppose I shouldn't have scared you, but these sunglasses are new. Bastard. Anyway, well done. It took me 3 years before I could handle a restelac. Troublesome bastards. Try fighting 'em in hell, it's full of the fuckers."

"What do you mean? Hell?"

"Well...yeah. I mean, it ain't heaven and gift shop, is it? There is a reason for the yin yang, buddy. And that restelac, I seen him before. Big hairy fucker from my time. I think I actually killed him on the battlefield."

"What?"

"Well...the restelac. It's a demon. Hell's answer to an angel. Didn't you figure that out?"

"Wait...you've been to hell?"

"Well sure. Every few millenia, we travel down there. Population control. Important stuff. It's like sweeps month on TV. You get a bonus for every restelac you destroy. The soul goes to purgatory, gets redjudged and is placed on Earth to try again, as it were." Gabriel smiled at Mike's confused face. "Come on, kid, let's get a Taco Bell."

--------------------
Works on a contingency basis
No money down

"That's a typo, lemme see that."

Works on a contingency basis?
No,money down!
SPLChamps
Posted: Jul 9 2006, 02:52 AM

JayCee's Padawan

As quickly as they had arrived to see Michael, Gabriel and Mike were gone. They were in Los Angeles, blazing through Downtown in a new sports car, white as a sheet and smooth as two sides of butter. Gabriel rolled down his window and stared out at the sprawling city that he was enveloped in.

"It'll happen, one day...the restelacs will try and overrun a place like this. We get luckier and luckier that they don't attack cities. Something's brewing...I don't know what...but something isn't right."

Mike felt confused and slightly irritated.

"Are there any other viscious demons or monsters or boogey men I should be worried about? Anything else that's going to swallow me whole and breathe fire down my asshole?"
"Oh yeah, of course. But, to be perfectly honest with you, knowing about them just adds to the fear. Anyway, we've got some work to do."

They stepped out of the car at the base of a massive building, stretching far up into the sky, as if it never stopped. Despite being his typical 5'11" inches from the ground, he felt the worst case of vertigo in his life.

Gabriel had him enter into the giant slab of concrete as they looked at the line for the elevator.

"No matter. We'll take the stairs."

Mike gave Gabriel a look of "What the fuck?" to which Gabriel simply replied:
"As far as you're debt is concerned, this'll be about five minutes."

They started up the stairs when Gabriel eventually took the role of Mike and shot him a look.

"What?"
Gabriel couldn't believe Mike couldn't see his reaction.
"Oh, right."

Both men took off and shot up the atrium of the staircase, passing floor after floor after floor. They eventually came to a stop.

"This is us. Floor 99 1/2. Take a walk with me."

When Mike heard the number, he expected a Being John Malkovic-style door with a somewhat eerie quality. Instead, he saw offices. Endless, windowless offices.

"Where the hell are we?"
"Headquarters, Ground Zero, the Main Hall, the Death Star. Welcome to Heaven."

Mike needed a moment to think.

"For years they tell you heaven is in the clouds, with angels and harps and turtle-doves. Then they tell you heaven is simply the sum of your happiness. You're telling me heaven is an L.A. office block?"

"Not telling you; showing you. Now, forget all your thoughts on what heaven is. Essentially, this is no different from offices throughout the world. You think new technology comes from humanity? Bullshit, this is where we work. As we evolve economically, technologically and socially, so does everything below us. But don't think this is where eternal bliss begins, oh no. These are just the gears and cogs. All that stuff is on a different plane. Remember, there's heaven, then there's the afterlife. Two serparate notions. Welcome to the beaurecracy."

"If this is heaven-"

"Then what is hell? Let me tell you. Hell is nothing. I've seen hell, and it is basically you, alone, with your thoughts. Basically. Things get complicated when you slowly begin to think you're going crazy."

"What do you mean?"

"You see...hell isn't fire and brimstone. Restelacs are demons, yes. But in hell, they serve a separate purpose altogether. They are silent propaganda, whispering thoughts into your head. For every person condemned to hell, their soul is split in two. Their physical being, the one you see in the mirror, is the one left to do all the thinking. Their inner demon is then tormented and twisted for age upon age, to the point where they are so damaged that they begin to blame your physical self."

"...what? That makes absolutely no sense."

"Think about it like this: there is the mind and there is the body. Which one is the self? People say one, people say t'other, people say both. The latter is the most truthful. While the body sits on a plane of nothing, the mind is taken over and melted and burned and absorbed and broken down and filtered and strained through horrible contortions instigated by one Lucifer. Your body and mind then meet for the first time after all this has happened...and they mind begins to punish the body. And that is when eternity begins for you."

"And how does a person get out of that hell?"

"Once you're there...you're there."

"But...I thought you had said you'd seen hell..."

"I did."

"How did you get out?"

"Remember when I told you that you were lucky...because you had a chance to get into heaven? Well my mind is still down in hell. And my body is up here. As long as I do His bidding, I won't let the two meet, and I won't have to deal with the eternity."

"This just raises 2 questions for every one answered. Your description is-" Mike was instantly interrupter by a loud voice.

"Of a personal hell?"

"Well...yes." Mike was utterly confused.

The voice continued, "Gabriel speaks of his own inner torment at the life he lead. Hell is a different experience from person to person. For Gabriel, having to face the responsibility of the murdering and raping and pillaging and life of sheer debauchery he led is something he cannot bare. And it is what he suffered when he went to hell. But it differs. You, for example...did you think you dreamnt that car accident over and over and over again? That was hell. Your hell was reliving the final hours of your life. As for Lucifer...well...his hell is watching life on this Earth. His hell is seeing everything move on and forget about him. Do you think he enjoys being the center of religions? The fall guy of every single mistake a teenager makes in Alabama? Of course not. His hell...is poor perception of his true character. Spite settled in. And his power grew. And he forced his anger and hatred upon others."

Mike was gobsmacked as God sat down next to him. He looked simply like his mother. That was when he realised what heaven and hell really were.

"You aren't existence...you're beyond that...you're simply what I conceive you to be in my mind."

"Exactly. The most dangerous thing in the world is the human mind. And the most dangerous thing for the human mind is lonliness."

"But what about our existence in the physical plane? Where are we now?"

"Weren't you listening to Gabriel before?"

Mike was beyond confused. What he saw before him was an endless room of desks, phones, computer screens, televisions, radios, maps, printers, copiers, coffee makers, garbage cans, vending machines and every other corporate cliche in the book. Heaven? Hell? He needed a drink.

--------------------
No money down

No,money down!
SPLChamps
Posted: Jul 9 2006, 03:15 AM

JayCee's Padawan

Mike ran away from the building. Away from Gabriel. Away from his mother. Away from every single contorted and convoluted word he had just heard.

"Bullshit. BULLSHIT! What kind of crap is this? Heaven and hell in the mind...what...? Am I asleep? Wake UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!!!!"

He looked around. All he could see surrounding him was people. And they were staring right back at him. Every single dialated pupil inside every single eyelid was pointed right at him. As far as he could see.

"WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?! Where the fuck am I?"

Gabriel appeared next to him.

"You're right here. And you're right now."

"What? You can't use this cop-out horseshit. This philosophical rhetoric. Make sense and make sense right now."

The people began to speak in unison while staring right at him.

"The self is the answer. The answer is the self. To understand the machinations, one must face the self."

Mike looked at Gabriel, who had disappeared into the crowd, chanting along with the millions of people surrounding Mike. Buildings around him sunk into the ground. He was literally engulfed by people. He lay down and looked up at the sky, only to be closed in on.

"The self is the answer. The answer is the self. To understand the machinations, one must face the self."

Mike closed his eyes. The words repeated and repeated and repeated in his head. He began to chant along with the people.

He opened his eyes. The voices were gone. He looked up to see only the sun, clouds and buildings around him. He got up and rubbed his eyes and head.

"What just happened?"

He let out a slight laugh and began to walk...until he stopped two steps from his apparent grave. He looked around, again and again. Nobody. He was a bare speck on the ground with no companion to share his grief. A single, solitary indentation on the mile after mile of surface of his planet. He sat down again.

As soon as he sat down, eveything came back to life. Cars started moving. People appeared as if out of nowhere. Hot dog vendors continued their trade. Dogs barked. Birds whistled. Lights changed from green to yellow to red and all over in a sequence he had grown to know all to well. He started walking. He started talking.

"The self is the answer. The answer is the self. To understand the machinations, one must face the self...what does that even mean?"

"It means you are scared of what you are, what you were, and what you are meant to be."

Mike turned to see Michael, face obscured by shadow, wings closed behind him, sword in hand.

"It means...your realisations are not yet understood and not yet realised. Take a moment. Take several. If you take too many, you'll miss the chance."

Mike stepped forward and came face to face with Michael.

"Do it," he continued, "do what you think is right to make the words in your head better."

Mike took the sword from Michael's hand and held it, staring at its complexity and craftsmanship.

"Somebody worked on this for a better part of their life. They poured heart and soul into the melting and hardening of elements to create an image they had previously seen only in their heads. It was an obssession for days, weeks, years even. It ended relationships. It severed feelings. And when it was all over...all they had to show for it was a glorified piece of metal. Steel, forged or not, is just steel. No matter how much dressing and sugar-coating...it's always the same. It doesn't change. And a sword's purpose never changes."

As Michael finished speaking, Mike looked into his eyes. He plunged the sword deep into Michael's stomach. The archangel disintegrated into a million and more pieces of dust and blew into the wind.

Applause came from behind him. A single solitary clap.

"Well done. Well done indeed. But the real test is not yet come to pass."

--------------------
No money down

No,money down!
SPLChamps
Posted: Aug 19 2006, 02:23 AM

JayCee's Padawan

"I fear what you have seen today has affected the job you must do for me. You see now why he cast me away. You have freed me from my prison and now my spirit runs through you. It's simple. Very very simple. Mike, you are now the only thing that can possibly turn this forsaken half-world into something respectable. Challenge him, and I will fill you with the power needed to destroy him."

The fluttering pieces of Mike's consciousness began to wear down, but he remained stiff and fought the presence.

"Now now, human, don't fight me and I won't destroy your mind. You have fire in your eyes, I would hate to have to extinguish it. Succumb to me, and you will achieve the necessary power."

Mike stared into oblivion. The power that overcame him shocked him to the ground. He got up and was surrounded by mirrors. Slowly, the image in the mirrors changed. His eyes bled, his fingernails grew, his teeth sharpened and his muscles grew. But when he looked at his hands, nothing had changed.

"You see, the power does not show on the outside. Aesthetics are paramount when you are as stealthy as myself. He is perceptive, I'll give him that."

The puzzle, which had previously been in ruins, came together.

"In death, you cut apart the sign. But by simply playing the tune of death, you have magically brought it into the light. Kind of like Zelda, only less elves and more wings. And where Zelda has fairies, this existence has false prophets who believe themselves to be in 'real pain'."

"Why did you choose me?"

"You're the only one since Gabriel who can handle this power. Do not ask why your mind was made with such strength, it is an unknown fact. Your power is the Secretariat of this world. Now, more-so than ever. Because right now, nobody knows where it is. You're off the map."

"But how?"

"My demon. The restelac. You thought you had defeated it. I confronted you and led you into it's psychic daze. Within moments, you were sucked under. The rest was a simple spell, a simple piece of Comal or Pascal or Visual Basic within your mind. I manipulated your belief into thinking you had defeated the restelac. But then your mind fought back. And that explains our little Vanilla Sky moment. Some outside interference couldn't stop my most magnificent creation. Your mind may try to fight back, but it will not succeed. At all. It will bow down."

--------------------------------

"Where is he, Gabriel?"

"He is underneath. He has transcended. I tried to gain entry, but Michael shut me away. I left him a message though. He won't forget it."

"Let us hope he does not. The power he has could destroy everything."

Mike re-entered the old plane of existence, right in front of the chapel where he believed he had left days before. The restelac appeared in front of him, giving him his final orders.

"Do what he commands. Do not fail, or your fate will be worse than all."

Mike appeared in front of a crucifix inside a small church in Okfuskee County, Oklahoma. The locals were wary of him, but he knelt, closed his eyes, and spoke in an ancient tongue unspoken on this plane for millenia.

"Avoiding me only confirms your guilt, Father. Face me."

He left the church, only to be confronted by Gabriel.

"I should've seen it when I first came into contact with you. You had something different, that was for sure. That's why I spent to long with you. I usually abandon new recruits immediately after they get The Word. You were different. You needed care, attention. Now I see why."

Mike stood in Clint Eastwood-inspired silence.

"So it's true, is it? He entered your mind. Michael let him take you. I tried to explain it to you in your mind. The self is the answer, Mike, the self is the answer. You are not him, you are you. Face yourself, don't face me. You destroyed your own immunity through your unending devotion to knowing the whole truth. Things must remain unaswered. Faith is not logic, it is the exact opposite. It is blind devotion through illogical belief. Belief, Mike. Just believe something more."

Mike looked at the setting sun, and back at Gabriel.

"Get out of my mind, before I churn you into butter."

They slowly sauntered up to each other. Mike was as silent as a dead mute, Gabriel was whispering to him. The same phrase could not get out of his head.

"If I am the answer, then surely I would understand."

Mike began to falter, while face to face with Gabriel.

Within the recesses of his mind, Gabriel was laying siege to what Lucifer had planted. An intrinsic castle of thought and fear trapped Mike's true self. Gabriel's spirit seemed to scream to Mike.

"I can only fight the outside. You are inside. You are the inside. Cave it in. You are the self."

Mike opened his eyes and stared at Gabriel, who's eyes had glazed over in his state. He grabbed Gabriel's throat and threw him into the roof of the church.

"You stay out of there before I tear the bloody flesh from your bones!!"

--------------------
No money down

No,money down!
« Next Oldest | Prose | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Quick Reply

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0923 seconds | Archive