As promised a while back!
If you really struggle with self injury, here are some alternative ideas and things you can do to pass the "craving by" and keep yourself safe:
* Stay in a public place
* Be with safe and supportive people
* Call a friend - you can make a list of people you can call/text if you need someone to talk to.
* Call your therapist
* Write in a journal
* Watch a funny movie
* Make a no-harm contract with your therapist
* Go for a drive
* Do relaxation excercises
* Do deep breathing
* Listen to music (nothing that will get you even more worked into your negative state of mind)
* Read a good book
* Go for a walk
* Clean a closet, a dresser, the kitchen
* Take a bubble bath
* Go shopping
* Wear a rubber band around one wrist and when the urge to harm is strong, snap it lightly
* Hold ice in your hand (sounds strange, but it works)
* With a washable red merker, make marks where you want to hurt yourself. This sometimes helps, especially if you like the blood.
* Express how you feel or your self harm through poetry, songs...etc.
* Do some intense physical excercises
* Most importantly...get rid of or away from anything you might use to harm yourself.
* Place your hands in freezing cold water (similar to the ice)
* Positive self talk, keep repeating/reassuring yourself that you will be alright
* Recognize that you are in control, rather then the strong thoughts of self harm are in control of you
* Plan regular activities for your most difficult time
* Contact help lines. Talk to someone about how you feel
* Contact others that feel the same way you do. Offer support and accept their support
* Don’t think you’re alone. Ask for help
* Be kind to yourself make a list of your stretches you qualities and hopes for the future
* Think about setting achievable goals
If you end up resorting to self-harm see it as a small set back, it is not the end of the world. Don’t despair, never conceder yourself as a failure, keep telling yourself that things will improve.
If you feel you are likely to slip read this. It may help
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY COMMENTS OR OTHER IDEAS TO THIS POST!!!!