zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Ancient Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ancient Legion regrets to inform we have closed our doors.
It has been a good time, guys!

New TopicNew Poll

How to speed your computer!
orichocos
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 04:43 PM

Unregistered

This guide was written by Sh0t, and I asked permission to use this guide in the site. Please do not reproduce it, unless you ask. Thankyou.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guide was written by me, and me alone. Do not post it anywhere without my permission.

Be sure to read everything if you're serious about making your computer run faster. Don't skip steps just because you're lazy (unless you are unable to complete a step), you're computer will run much faster if you follow each step by the way I've arranged it.

Index:

[1.1] - User Profiles
[1.2] - Running a Virus Scan
[1.3] - Sharing Folder
[1.4] - MsDOS
[1.5] - Add/Remove Programs
[1.6] - Defrag
[1.7] - Miscellaneous

[1.1] - User Profiles

Note: Skip this step if you're using a computer shared by your family/friends, or if you wish to continue, make sure to ask for permission.
Note: You must have an Administrator account to complete this step.

This is by far one of the fastest ways of speeding up your computer. Go to,

Start > Control Pannel > User Accounts

click here for an image of User Accounts.

You will see anywhere from 1-5+ accounts. Make sure all accounts, excluding an Administrator, including the guest account, are turned off. The only account you should have turned on is 1 Administrator account. This will make it so you're computer does not have to load all the user accounts - it drastically slows down your computer.

Note: If you wish to turn on an account, go to,
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
Click on the account name you wish to turn back on, and turn it on.

[1.2] - Running a Virus Scan

This, another great method of increasing your computers speed. When viruses sneak onto your computer, depending on the virus, steal all the information you type onto the computer, whether through screenshots, recording your keystrokes, or destroying critical systems - the possibilities are endless, and running these sneaky little critters slows your computer down quite a bit.. If you have an Anti-Virus program installed, scan your system with that. If you don't (you better have one...) then here are some free ones. Download one of them. I'd recommend AVG-free:

- AntiVir

- AVG-Free

- Bit Defender

Scan your computer for viruses. If there are none, then great!

Note: If you are using more then 1 user account, scan both. If you are using an Administrator account and there is one that your friend or family member is using, it's possible that that particular virus is limited to the account it was downloaded on.

[1.3] - Sharing Folder

Again, another great method to reduce traffic. Go to,

C: > Documents and Settings > Administrator > Shared

Note: Depending on where you save your files is depending on where your shared folder is. If you cannot find it, simple open up any folder, hit Ctrl F, and search your C:/ for the folder named Shared.

Currently, I have (oh my..) 229 files in my shared folder.. (no wonder my computer has been a bit slow lately).. Either delete all the files, or Drag N' Drop them to another folder, preferably yours. These files can range from music, to documents, to movies - it all depends on what you have been downloading onto your computer.

Note: I'd recommend scanning everything in your Shared folder before Draggin' N' Droppin' anything. Viruses tend to leech onto files you download.

[1.4] - MsDOS

This is more focused on making your computer boot up faster, but I've decided to include it anyways. Go to,

Start > Run

type in,

msconfig

Click here for an image of Run.
Click here for an image of msconfig.

Near the top, click on Startup. You will then be shown a long list of items that your computer loads upon startup. Since every computer is different (depending on what programs you have on your computer), I will not go through a long explanation of what to uncheck and what to keep checked. Something such as explorer you will want to keep, but others such as paint, you might want to uncheck. Be careful, though. If you have any questions pertaining to what's critical and what's unnecessary, feel free to PM me.

[1.5] - Add/Remove Programs

Phew, almost done. Are you the kind of person who downloads a game, beats it within a few days, then moves on? How about programs that you only use a few times before realizing it's not all that great. Programs that you don't use take up space, which I'm sure you're starting to figure out, slows your computer down. Go to,

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

It may take a few minutes to load depending on how much memory you have left. When it loads, browse the applications, and delete the ones you rarely use.

Click here for an image of the Add or Remove Programs (unpopulated).

Again, this will vary by computer and what programs you have installed since you've owned the computer. Massive programs that you don't use, such as WoW, Photoshop, Adobe programs, and other applications, you may wish to delete. Others, such as Quicktime, Windows Movie Maker, etc, are essential, so be careful. If you have any queries, again, feel free to PM me with questions.

[1.6] - Defrag

Finally, the most important step. I hope you've at least completed a few of the others, but if not, that's ok. Defraging takes a few hours to complete, depending on how many programs are on your computer, how fast your computer functions, and overall, how twisted up your system is. I'm not going to go into a great detail explaining it, but believe me, this is worth it. Go to,

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Click here for an image of the defragmentation window.

First, analyze your system. Once that's finished, defrag it. Again, this process may take anywhere from 30 minutes, to 5 hours, so set it up, walk away, and check on it every once and a while. Do Not stop the defragging process unless absolutely unnecessary. Your computer is in the hospital, don't unplug the life support.

[1.7] - Miscellaneous

Just a quick cap, although this guide took me a few hours to write, I'd very much appreciate your comments on how this did/didn't help you.

Again, if you have any questions, PM me or post a comment with your question. I'll be glad to help! smile.gif
FiveBrain
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 06:46 PM

How many brains do you have?
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 24

Wow dude thanks for posting this. Its helped my computer run whole heck of alot faster biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks Dylan!^^^^^
My Blog!!! Clicky pl0x %mh%8%mh%
PM
orichocos
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 08:52 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (FiveBrain @ Jul 20 2008, 06:46 PM)
Wow dude thanks for posting this. Its helped my computer run whole heck of alot faster biggrin.gif

Your welcome but you should be thanking the creator.
Conor0999
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 10:13 AM

Unregistered

I noticed the free anti-virus dont protect your computer nearly aswell as anti-virus that costs $30 (Macaffe)
DarkChaos
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 09:37 PM

Pure Nothing
Group Icon

Group: Retired Member
Member No.: 141

i might try these.. but i dont think its my comp its just the stinky internet connection

--------------------
user posted image

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if
^^^^read backwards^^^^
PM
Coolmage
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 01:35 PM

The Coolest Mage
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 194

I've done everything and it's still a piece of crap... most likely because its 10 years old

--------------------
PM
orichocos
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 06:43 PM

Unregistered

My computer is more old than that, and I can play Runesape HD!
Coolmage
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 11:13 PM

The Coolest Mage
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 194

Do you update the RAM?

--------------------
PM
jpie20
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 10:08 AM

Unregistered

weel it is very helpful eventhough i didnt use it lol biggrin.gif
but thanks though it reminded me to do a scan on my computer
Necroswordia
Posted: Jul 26 2008, 04:29 PM

Former High Council member
Group Icon

Group: Retired Member
Member No.: 154

AWESOME TY orichocos. Even though I already do that stuff. Thanks creator of this guide!

--------------------
Previously known as: Necroswordia and DookPlunkIdiot, RS Username: Necroswordia
user posted image
Please warn me if my new signature is too big
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Council of Members | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options New TopicNew Poll

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive