zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Ancient Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ancient Legion regrets to inform we have closed our doors.
It has been a good time, guys!

Add ReplyNew Topic

A Guide to Reaching Your Goals!
Redeyes2496
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 05:08 PM

RSN: Redeyes2496
Group Icon

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 395

Intro...
So you've just made a goal for yourself. Congratulations! Now it's on to reaching that goal! [3 weeks later...]You give up, because you're either bored, tired, or you realize it's unreachable. How do you prevent this from happening? My following tips can help you out.

Skill(s): Any and All
Difficulty: Can range from very easy to extremely challenging, depending on what your goal is and how far away you are from achieving it.
Cost: However much it may cost to reach your goal.

Starting Out
To reach your goal, you need...well, a goal. To make a goal, you should write down your specific goal somewhere where you can constantly see it (almost in an inconvenient place). This way, you are serious about your goal, and you don't forget it. Now, when you make your goal, it shouldn't be too easy. A goal is something that you want to have to really work for. That way, when you accomplish it, you can feel more happy and proud. This may sound very obvious, however it's very important to state your goal in writing either on your computer or even in a physical form, like on paper. A good idea is to make a thread in the Achievements, Goals, and Blogs board, stating your goal, so that others can see your progress and cheer you on.

Once you have your goal, it's time to go out and achieve it!

The First Week...
The first couple days are VERY crucial to reaching your goal. In these days, you don't want to exactly start immediately on your goal. What you want to do is develop a strategical schedule as to when you want to achieve your goal and when you want to do it. When making a schedule, keep the following things in mind:
  • What is going to give you the best experience in the particular goal?
  • When is the best time to work on your goal? (Very important in skills such as Woodcutting, Mining, Combat, etc.)
  • How long do you want to work on your goal each day?
Point I: What is going to give you the best experience?
If you're working on your goal, you want to get the best and quickest experience possible to reach your goal. For instance, if you had a Woodcutting level of 75, you are going to get MUCH more experience if you cut Willow trees compared to cutting, say, normal trees. Therefore, before you begin working on your goal, do some research into what you're doing. Look into what is the best possible way to receive experience AT YOUR LEVEL. I suggest looking at guides written by professionals in the skill, such as Chuffa's Woodcutting Guide for Woodcutting. In these guides, they tell you what to do at what level in order to achieve your goal in that particular skill. These guides will point you towards the best places to get experience, and will save you time in-game.

Point II: When is the best time to work on your goal?
When working on your goal, you want to be working in the best environment possible. For instance, if you are training on Hill Giants on World 1 at Four O'Clock in the afternoon, you are not going to get as much experience if you worked in a less crowded environment. Once again, the best thing to do is to do some research into this matter. When researching, look into when Worlds are off-peak, and when certain areas are not crowded. A good example would be to play in a World that is not associated with your country. Find when those worlds are having their Nighttime or Early Morning, and play there. Also, if you work on your goal at late night or early morning where you are, you can also have a healthy goal-reaching environment in a World closely associated to your country. Another great way for more experienced players is to use the other languages of Runescape.

If you don't know where they are, they are located here:

user posted image
These few worlds are translated into German/Dutch (not quite sure which) and French, which most people don't realize exist. Normally they have less than 200 people, making the odds of people training where you want to very slim. The only catch is that you need to remember where everything would be if it was in English, which if you have been playing long enough, shouldn't be too tricky.

Point III: How long do you want to work on your goal each day?
A common mistake many people make is that they work on their goal THE ENTIRE TIME that they play Runescape. Unless you are not easily bored, this is VERY dangerous in completing your goal. When you develop a schedule, you only want to work on your goal for either A) A set time period, or B)A certain amount of experience. A good example would be:

I work on my goal for 2 Hours.
[or]
I work on my goal until I reach 75,000 experience for the day.

This is important because you can easily get bored of doing the same thing. If you just constantly work on the same thing for an abundant amount of time, you will get easily bored, and give up. However, when you limit yourself to your goal, you look forward to doing it, and you don't give up. The amount of time you work should depend on your level. If you are a novice in your skill (50+) you shouldn't work longer than 1-2 hours, or 100-150k experience. If you are experienced in your skill (80+), you shouldn't work longer than 3 hours on your skill, or 200-250k experience. Depending on your attention span, you should figure out a set time period to how long you should work.

It's very important to continue doing other skills or quests during your off-time to continue to encourage you to reach your goal. The very, most important thing is, DO NOT CRACK. Do not go back to working on your skill, it will be the downfall of your goal.

Keeping a Spreadsheet
So now you are working on your goal at a set schedule. How do you keep track of what you're doing? You keep a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet looks like the following:
user posted image
A popular spreadsheet application is Microsoft Excel.

As you can see from my example, it lists the date, how much experience was acquired in the day, how much total experience there is, and how far away the skill is from the goal. This is a very simple spreadsheet, I suggest in yours that you put how long it took to get the experience, and to make notes of when you level up. This helps you keep track of your goal, and you can spot out patterns in your work. Always put in the exact number of experience in your spreadsheet. This also keeps you motivated to continue your goal.

Using Your Notes
As of July 8th, 2009, JaGex has put notes into the Runescape interface. This too, can be a very helpful tool to reaching your goals. You may have thought, "what can I use these notes for?" or "what's the point of this whole system?" These notes can be used to keep very useful information, including keeping your goals. Here is an example of some of my notes:

user posted image
This is an example of one of my Woodcutting notes. In this note, it shows how much experience I get per load (28 willow logs), and how much each log is. You can have up to 30 notes, each which can be color-coded into four different colors. This is a great place to write down your goals and keep useful information about your goal. You can also keep other information here, like how much certain items may cost, other account names you may possibly have in case you forget, or you can just put complete nonsense if you wish (inputting "murder" or "Paul Gower" may lead to a surprise laugh.gif). However, this is another great way to keep you motivated into your goal.

Closing Remarks
Don't give up on your goals. It sounds easy, but when you're really crunching through, don't give up. Remember all of the hard work that you put in, and remember the rewards at the end. Keep an active blog in the Achievements, Goals, and Blogs board to show other members how you're doing. Also, you can seek support from them when things are looking south. However, if you follow these tips, and have a will to reach your goal, you will reach it in no time.

My Tips
  • Plan how long your goal should take. You want to plan a serious goal between a month at the minimum to up to a year at the most.
  • Never lie to yourself. If you put in false records of your stats in your spreadsheets or your blog, you're only making excuses for yourself which will bring you down.
  • Don't slack off. Follow the schedule that you have set for yourself. If you slack off, you'll fall into that slump, which will turn you for the worst.
  • Have fun! Remember that Runescape is just a game, and it shouldn't be controlling your life. Reaching your goal should be fun, and not something that you HAVE to do. If you want to, set your schedule to work in your downtime that you have. However, make sure that you have a consistent schedule. Remember not to slack off.
If you ever need help in-game, contact me in Clan Chat.

This post has been edited by Redeyes2496 on Jul 19 2009, 10:12 PM

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Skilling Guides | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyNew Topic

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive