Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to 21c. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Date: 1Q2015

Map

Coup in Mauritania establishes Islamic nation -- Japan calls for action in UNGA

--> Newbie Guide <--
World Military Guides
Active Topics
Currently Claimed Nations
Get on IRC!
Mibbit
Facebook

New Quick Start Guide Competition
Germany (Schwerpunkt)
Posted: 07 Sep 2011 12.48.00

Dalek Caan

Group: Admin
Member No.: 144

I've been getting quite a few PMs about basic issues. And so I have decided that it is both prudent and proper to create a new quick start guide.

But there's a catch: I don't really have the time to put into it to make it as good as it should be. And so I have decided to make this a community project of sorts with the expressed intent of making 21c's ridiculous learning curve a bit less Paradox-esque and a bit more Modern Warfare-esque.

Yes, I just took a shot at CoD. Deal with it.

To reward those people who decide to contribute to this project in a meaningful manner ('meaningful' to be arbitrarily determined by myself), I'll be offering custom titles. You'll be able to choose your own custom title or, if you prefer, you'll be able to choose a custom title for someone else. Anyone else! Except admins. Because we can change it back on a whim.

[Disclaimer: custom titles chosen for other players cannot be demeaning, hurtful, mocking, inflammatory, or trollish and should not be used while pregnant]

[Requirements]
1) Newbie friendly. For instance, references to specific events in past rounds should be avoided.
2) Short to medium length. As much as I'd love to have a lengthy newbie guide, it really wouldn't be helpful. We don't want a 3,500 word guide unless we can help it: we want something that doesn't immediately flip the tl;dr switch.
3) Links to relevant topics in various forums. Topics explaining various matters in detail (ie, CSJ's guides).
4) Explanation of the various roles filled by milmods, event mods, and econ mods. This will probably be delegated to the relevant moderators.
5) A compare-and-contrast between 21c and NationStates. Just because that's where most of our new members come from.

[Things to avoid]
1) References to specific moderators or admins. Things change, y'know? Sel wrote the original Quick Start Guide back when he was actively involved in running the forum; he's no longer participating in forum administration. If a portion of the guide said "ask Sel," suddenly you've got something that doesn't belong.
2) Walls of text. Paragraphs should generally be limited to 2-3 sentences per point and broken up from there. Keep it simple and clean.

And just to spur this along, the first person that gets around to creating a topic in the mess hall and organizing an initiative into this project will get two custom titles -- one now, one when the project is over. Wouldn't that be something? Oh boy. It'd be crazy.

Almost as crazy as telling the board that I want to make this project open source.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0378 seconds | Archive
Flag images are courtesy of http://www.3dflagsplus.com/